Social media has forever changed the fast-growing world of marketing. With Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snap-chat and LinkedIn, marketing any content or brand has become at the palm of your hands. Instagram, however, has been offering new and relatively more appealing features that can serve almost any Instagram strategy.
Still, to utilise your time and social presence, a solid Instagram strategy is of utmost necessity. Whether you’re running your own business or a blogger, creating an Instagram strategy lays out a clear plan for effective social presence and ultimately helping you achieve your goals.
This guide has got you covered. It will lead you through creating your best Instagram marketing strategy. Read on to get started with your plan.
Table of Contents
Steps for Instagram Marketing Strategy
1. Identify Your Goals and Objectives
To be clear about your Instagram goals, here are four questions you need to consider:
- What does success mean for you?
- Why are you using Instagram? For brand awareness? To display your services and products?
- How can Instagram serve your overall marketing goals? Will it educate people on your business? To build brand loyalty?
- What does Instagram offer you that other social media platforms don’t?
The first question to ask yourself after determining your goals and objectives is: “Who am I targeting?” However, if you have a clear idea of who your target audience is, start by asking “What kind of communities do they engage with?” “What are some hashtags they use?” Another way is researching the followers of your competitors as a mean to build a successful Instagram strategy by using their information to organically engage them.
2. Optimise Your Instagram Business Profile
Since your Instagram business profile is a reflection of your business/brand, it’s important to invest your time in planning its layout. Here are a three things you should be mindful of when creating your Instagram business profile that will serve your overall Instagram strategy:
- Your Instagram bio: that includes your name, username, contact info, other websites and page links, hashtags, keywords, and skills
- Mind your Instagram Aesthetic: which includes your profile colour scheme, lighting, spacing content out, and adapting a consistent editing style
- Use Instagram Stories Highlights: a smart strategy is sorting your stories highlights according to topics, categories or products in a way that your followers can easily find their content of interest.
3. Instagram Content Strategy
Listed below are four experts advice to building yourself a successful content strategy:
- Approach followers in an amicable manner by telling a story through your content rather than preaching
- Posting consistent and quality marketing content throughout your day
- 20% of your content can be contributed to ads that disappear within 24 hours and the other 80% of the content is of direct value to the users and followers
- Carousel posts which can be used to launch a new product line, share both videos and photos of your events, and display some before and after posts.
4. Instagram Stories
2017 had been all about Instagram stories! With a 24-hour window for your followers to see – unless they’re marked as highlights – Instagram Stories are a trending strategy to get followers on Instagram. Here are six ways businesses use Instagram stories:
- In-depth coverage of products and/or services
- Build a more engaged community
- Quick fire promotions and story polls
- Instagram story highlights
- Add story clickable links and tag other accounts
- Share location and add hashtag stickers
5. Instagram Live Streaming
Instagram live has become 2018’s dominant Instagram business feature. Going for Instagram’s Live Stories option is one effective way to increase Instagram engagement, leading new followers, and achieving your Instagram strategy goals. Here are three ideas to help you plan your live streaming:
- Big reveals of new products and/or services that are happening at the moment
- Announce campaigns and contests, and promote sales
- Behind-the-scenes stories to increase engagement
6. Instagram Analytics
Metrics are also present on Instagram platform, and there are various apps that keep track of all sorts of numbers. Likes, followers, and comments are the most tracked numbers. Direct comments show the most engaged followers and hence responding to them helps expand your business and follows. Other apps offer in-depth analytics like top followers and popular influencers whom are following you. These kind of metrics cover prospect business personals you can contact to add value to your business.
7. Team up with an Influencer
Instagram influencer marketing is becoming one significant Instagram strategy for most marketers. Through their authenticity and reach, influencers introduce your business/brand to a new audience on their channel, which to their followers is viewed as an authoritative, friendly recommendation.
Planning out an influencer campaign strategy is essential to the success of your overall goals and objectives. Still, selecting the right influencer could be a challenge, and that’s why it’s important that you consider the following points when choosing an influencer:
- Check their Instagram engagement
- Check the number and quality of their followers
- Lay out and plan a budget
It’s also important to know that influencer rates will vary widely among influencers. Thanks to the rising trend of “micro-influencers” who have significant, but not huge, social media following, you don’t have to put in thousands of dollars into your Instagram strategy.
8. Instagram Hashtags Strategy
Choosing the right hashtags for your Instagram posts can rank them as the top appearing posts or drop them to where they can never be seen. Not only do hashtags make your posts easier to find, but they also bring your posts and content to the right audience. Here’s what some of the most famous Instagram marketers said about hashtags:
- Pay attention to the hashtags people use most
- Use the hashtags that your ideal clients would use the most, keep experimenting until you find the right ones
- Incorporate the hashtags that are trending the most in your niche (niche hashtags)
- Use a minimum number of hashtags in your main caption, one or two, then add as many hashtags in the first comment underneath.
Today, Instagram is a prime marketing platform and shows no signs of slowing down. That’s why building an Instagram strategy is of top-priority for businesses.
Real Brand Case Studies: Unlocking Tangible ROI with Instagram Marketing
Instagram has exploded into a powerful marketing tool, boasting over 2 billion active users and a highly engaged audience. Businesses are increasingly leveraging this platform to connect with their target demographic, build brand awareness, and drive tangible results. However, navigating the ever-evolving landscape of Instagram marketing can be challenging. To inspire and equip you with actionable insights, we’ll delve into real-world case studies showcasing brands that have achieved significant ROI through their Instagram campaigns.
Case 1: Glossier: Building a Beauty Empire Through Micro-Influencers
Glossier, a beauty brand known for its minimalist aesthetic and clean ingredients, rose to prominence thanks to its strategic use of micro-influencers. Instead of partnering with celebrity endorsements, Glossier focused on collaborating with micro-influencers who resonated with their target audience of young, beauty-conscious individuals. This approach fostered a sense of authenticity and trust, leading to organic brand awareness and product discovery.
- 65% increase in website traffic
- 40% boost in online sales
- Increased brand engagement by 300%
- Micro-influencer marketing can be highly effective, especially for niche brands.
- Cultivating genuine relationships with influencers builds trust and authenticity.
- User-generated content generated through influencer partnerships drives powerful results.
Case 2: Dollar Shave Club: Humor and Storytelling for E-Commerce Success
Dollar Shave Club, a subscription service for men’s grooming products, utilized humor and storytelling to disrupt the traditional shaving industry. Their viral video campaign, featuring humorous product benefits and a memorable tagline, captured the attention of millions and catapulted their brand into the spotlight.
- Acquired 4 million subscribers within 2 years
- Generated over $100 million in revenue within the first year
- Increased brand awareness significantly, particularly amongst millennials
- Humorous and engaging content resonates with audiences and creates lasting impressions.
- Storytelling can effectively communicate brand values and connect with customers on an emotional level.
- Video content is increasingly crucial for capturing audience attention and driving engagement.
Case 3: GoPro: Empowering User-Generated Advocacy
GoPro, a leading action camera brand, empowers its users to capture and share their adventures through stunning visuals. They actively encourage user-generated content by hosting contests, challenges, and featuring user-submitted photos and videos on their official channels. This strategy not only promotes brand awareness but also fosters a sense of community and loyalty amongst their customer base.
- Over 40 million social media followers
- Strong brand association with adventure and travel
- Increased brand loyalty and customer retention
- User-generated content creates a powerful form of social proof and authentic marketing.
- Empowering users to showcase their experiences fosters community and brand loyalty.
- Actively engaging with user-generated content strengthens brand relationships.
Checklists/Worksheets for an Optimized Organic/Paid Instagram Strategy
I. Organic Strategy Checklist
1. Account Optimization:
- Profile picture: High-quality, visually appealing image that represents your brand.
- Bio: Concise and informative, including keywords and a call to action (CTA).
- Highlights: Organize your story highlights with captivating covers and clear titles.
- Instagram Shopping: Set up shoppable posts and stories to drive sales.
- Link in bio: Use a link-in-bio tool to optimize your single bio link.
2. Content Strategy:
- Content calendar: Plan and schedule your content in advance.
- Content mix: Utilize various content formats (photos, videos, Reels, stories).
- High-quality visuals: Invest in professional photography and videography.
- Engaging captions: Ask questions, tell stories, and encourage interaction.
- Relevant hashtags: Research and include relevant hashtags to reach a wider audience.
- Post timing: Schedule your posts for optimal engagement times.
3. Engagement and Community Building:
- Respond to comments and messages promptly.
- Host contests and giveaways to increase engagement.
- Go live regularly and interact with your audience.
- Collaborate with other brands and influencers.
- Run polls and ask questions to gather insights.
4. Analytics and Tracking:
- Track key metrics: Likes, comments, shares, reach, impressions, website clicks.
- Analyze your best-performing content and identify trends.
- Use insights to refine your strategy and optimize your content.
II. Paid Strategy Worksheet
1. Campaign Goals and Objectives:
- What are your overall goals for your paid Instagram campaign? (e.g., increase brand awareness, generate website traffic, drive sales)
- What specific objectives will you set to achieve your goals? (e.g., reach X number of people, increase website traffic by Y%, generate Z leads)
2. Target Audience:
- Who is your ideal customer? (e.g., demographics, interests, behaviors)
- What are their pain points and needs?
- What platforms do they use?
3. Budget and Bidding Strategy:
- How much are you willing to spend on your campaign?
- What is your bidding strategy? (e.g., cost per click, cost per impression)
4. Ad Creatives:
- What kind of ad formats will you use? (e.g., photo ads, video ads, carousel ads)
- What will your ad copy and visuals be?
- What call to action will you include?
5. Tracking and Optimization:
- What metrics will you track to measure the success of your campaign? (e.g., click-through rate, conversion rate, cost per acquisition)
- How will you optimize your campaign based on your results?
III. Additional Tips:
- Use Instagram Insights and Ads Manager to track your performance and make data-driven decisions.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest Instagram trends and features.
- Experiment with different ad formats and targeting options.
- Test different captions and visuals to see what resonates with your audience.
- Be patient and persistent. It takes time to build a successful Instagram presence.
By following these checklists and worksheets, you can develop a comprehensive and effective organic/paid Instagram strategy that helps you achieve your marketing goals.
Frequently Asked Questions about Instagram Marketing
Q: How can I get more followers on Instagram?
A: There are several strategies to increase your follower base, including:
- Creating high-quality content that resonates with your target audience.
- Using relevant hashtags to get your content seen by more people.
- Interacting with other users and participating in relevant communities.
- Running contests and giveaways to attract new followers.
- Collaborating with other brands and influencers.
Q: How often should I post on Instagram?
A: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the ideal posting frequency will vary depending on your brand, target audience, and content strategy. However, it is generally recommended to post at least 3-5 times per week.
Q: How can I track the performance of my Instagram account?
A: Instagram Insights provides valuable data and analytics about your account’s performance. You can track key metrics such as reach, impressions, engagement, and website clicks.
Q: What are some tips for writing engaging captions?
A: Here are some tips for writing engaging captions:
- Ask questions to spark conversation.
- Tell stories that connect with your audience.
- Use humor and personality to make your brand relatable.
- Include a clear call to action.
Q: How can I use Instagram Stories effectively?
A: Instagram Stories offer a great opportunity to connect with your audience in a more personal way. Here are some tips for using Stories effectively:
- Post regularly and consistently.
- Use a variety of features, such as polls, quizzes, and questions.
- Go live regularly to interact with your audience in real time.
- Use relevant hashtags and location tags.
Q: What is the difference between organic and paid reach on Instagram?
A: Organic reach refers to the number of people who see your posts naturally, without any paid promotion. Paid reach refers to the number of people who see your posts as a result of paid advertising.
Q: How can I create effective Instagram ads?
A: Here are some tips for creating effective Instagram ads:
- Define your target audience clearly.
- Create visually appealing ads that stop users in their tracks.
- Use clear and concise copy that communicates your message effectively.
- Include a strong call to action.
- Track your ad performance and make adjustments as needed.
Q: How much does it cost to advertise on Instagram?
A: The cost of advertising on Instagram depends on various factors, such as your target audience, budget, and ad format. However, you can set a daily or lifetime budget for your ads, giving you flexibility and control over your spending.
Remember, these are just a few of the most common questions about Instagram marketing. There are many other resources available to help you learn more and improve your strategy.
Conclusion: Embracing the Power of Instagram Marketing
Instagram has transformed the marketing landscape, offering brands a powerful platform to connect with their target audience, build brand awareness, and drive tangible results. By implementing the strategies and tips outlined in this article, you can unlock the potential of Instagram and achieve your marketing goals.
Remember, success on Instagram requires more than just posting pretty pictures. It demands a strategic approach, a commitment to creating valuable content, and an ongoing effort to adapt and evolve with the ever-changing platform. By continuously learning, experimenting, and refining your approach, you can harness the power of Instagram and witness your brand flourish in the digital age.
So, are you ready to start building your Instagram presence and taking your brand to the next level? Roll up your sleeves, get creative, and dive into the exciting world of Instagram marketing!