Every business should have its own unique identifier, a a brand build guide. This is known as the business’s brand and it is essential to the success of any business. First of all, the brand is the first thing a customer notice when choosing a product. This means that a well-established brand is much more likely to be picked up by a new customer. This can be quantitatively measured through the customer’s brand recall. Furthermore, having a brand implies consistency which means that customers will be more confident in your product and will be much more likely to recommend it to others in a form of “word of mouth” marketing which is believed to be one of the most effective methods of marketing.
In addition, having a well-established brand build enables higher profit through the added cost of the brand. A brand build that represents high quality or trendy product does not have to follow competitive pricing, instead, they may set their own as a “leader” of the market. These various benefits should motivate you to start working on a brand build. Allow us to take you on a journey of all the brand attributes you need to know to start on your brand build. Your first step to creating a brand is to identify your target audience and research the market.
2: Researching the Market
1: Creating a Brand Mission
2: Adjusting for Competition
3: Creating Your Brand Graphics
C) Spreading Your Brand
2: Physical Marketing
E) Simplifying the Process
1: Project Management Tools
2: Digital Marketing Consultancy
3: Social Media Marketing Services
4: Social Media Tools
5: Brand Building Tools
F) Brand Building Success Stories
A) Brand Build Research
1: Identifying Your Target Audience
A target audience is a specific segment of the market that your products or services appeal to. Knowing this specific group can allow you to better understand their needs in order to satisfy them. The first step is to conduct research regarding your niche. This can be in the form of customer surveys. Surveys may seem tedious at first but they are a great resource to know the opinions of the customers. Furthermore, surveys show the customers that you care about their opinion. With a little bit of unique management, they can even generate interest in your business. This can be done by rewarding customers for their participation. A simple promotional discount, a giveaway, or even a whole event can go a long way towards the purpose of collecting customer opinions. It is often rare that a company sticks to one specific niche (with a few exceptions of course!), however, this niche will be your most invested customers that will help you build up your brand through constant support and good “word of mouth”. Once you have identified your niche, it is time to appeal to them. This part requires the most creativity but with enough effort put into it, it can surely be an instant hit. Here are some of the ways that may help you identify your target audience.
- Online Analytics: By using web traffic analytics, you will be able to identify your most popular age group, gender, and nationality. This allows you to target your ads towards their interest in order to maximize your presence in their relevant culture.
- Product analysis: By studying the different uses of your product, you can identify the “need” that your product fulfills. This allows you to customize your brand build towards said needs in order to gain the support of these customers.
- Focus group workshops: The final part of Target audience research is to gather a “focus group” which is a chosen group of people that best represent your main target audience. After this focus group has been introduced to your product then interviewed. Sufficient data should now be available for you that will help you better understand the needs of that group. Additionally, you may hold a questions session where your staff can ask this focus group various questions regarding their preferences.
2: Researching the Market
Market research is valuable when working on a brand build. Markets have become fairly competitive and that’s why it has become important to know your competition, their target audience, and their marketing strategies. First of all, this will allow you to identify unsatisfied customer needs that you might choose to appeal to. Furthermore, by knowing what the competition is focusing on, you can identify the main factors that other businesses are trying to appeal to. This should allow you to adjust your product/branding accordingly to ensure that you are up to the current trends. Additionally, by observing the current pricing strategies of the competition, you can identify which pricing point is unoccupied which will allow you to accordingly build your brand. Sometimes that would mean creating a luxurious brand for the elite or an affordable replacement for a competitor’s product that appeals to the masses. Both of these strategies are equally viable and they mostly depend on the current state of the market.
B) Crafting the Brand Build
Now that you have gathered all the necessary data, it is time to modify your brand build in order to suit the current customer/market needs. Here are some of the main steps that will help you pave the road towards a successful, powerful brand.
1: Creating a Brand Mission
The first decision you need after you have researched the market is to create a brand mission. This is basically your company’s main objective. It should be simple and clear, where it easily conveys the purpose of your company to anyone that hears it. This will ensure that your employees are constantly reminded of the overall bigger objectives which helps them stay on target. Almost every business has a brand mission, here are some of the most successful brand mission.
- Facebook: “To give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected.”
- Twitter: “To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.”
- Uber: “Uber is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our apps, we make cities more accessible, opening up more possibilities for riders and more business for drivers.”
- Amazon: “To be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.”
- Google: “To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
- Coca-Cola: “To refresh the world…To inspire moments of optimism and happiness…To create value and make a difference.”
2: Adjusting for Competition
The sooner you become aware of the competition, the easier it is to adjust your brand build accordingly. It is important to clearly differentiate yourself from the other products/services in order to ensure that customers have a reason to choose you over the rest. After you have researched the current market and your potential competitors, it is important to make sure that you will stand out among them. There are several approaches to achieving this. First, you can adjust your pricing to fit the least occupied pricing point. Second, you can encourage customers to choose your business over the competition by constantly innovating. Finally, it is important to appropriately advertise your brand in order to raise awareness for your brand. By focusing on your points of strength that differentiate you from the competition, you can be sure that it will generate lots of interest in your business. A useful resource for analyzing the competition is our competitor analysis tools list. This list will provide you with all the necessary tools to help you understand your competition’s mission, brand build and main content focus. Additionally, you can use this content analysis guide to better understand the focus of your main competitors.
3: Finding Your Voice
Creating an image for your brand is only limited by your imagination. There are several viable “voices” that your brand may take. Here are some examples to help you get started:
- Customer Friendly
This is basically the way you want your brand to address your target audience. This is the image that the customers will have in mind when doing business for you. It is what differentiates you from the competition. engages your customers and motivates your employees to innovate. A high tech business might opt for the innovative voice. Alternatively, a business that is offering a brand new product might opt for the informative voice to create a need within the customer base. Finally, if your brand is based on customer interactions, you might opt for the customer friendly approach where the audience is constantly engaged through promotions, competitions or otherwise. Having a distinct voice for your brand is a great approach for gaining exposure as well as customer brand recall.
4: Creating Your Brand Graphics
Your logo is often the first thing that a potential customer will see. This makes it extremely important, and significant resources should be allocated to it. It is a good idea to hire a professional artist to design your logo. It is important that you get your vision of the product across to the designer and this is why it is important to assign a project manager that ensures that the designs complement your business’s most appealing qualities. Check out our project manager checklist to ensure that ideas are properly brought into reality. Remember that innovation goes a long way towards enforcing your brand. Additionally, your project manager can set clear guidelines to ensure that any future designs are consistent with your created brand. For smaller businesses, check out our online logo creation guide as an affordable alternative to hiring a designer.
C) Spreading Your Brand
It is not enough to establish your brand, you must also work on spreading that brand. To begin with, it is important to know how to effectively place your product in order to generate interest in your brand. Product placement is a science that contains a lot of fine details that must be mastered before you can fully benefit from it. Next, we’ll talk about the various marketing mediums available for your business.
1: Online Marketing
Online marketing is your bread and butter when it comes to establishing your brand online. These great resources fully utilize the internet in order to maximize your business’s exposure. It is an essential part of any brand build and should be given appropriate attention. By utilizing the internet, you can reach a wide audience regardless of their geographical location. This essentially makes the whole globe your potential market. Benefits of Online Marketing include:
- A global audience is exposed to your brand: By utilizing the vast reach of the internet, you can observe foreign markets and observe their interest in your brand. This allows you to capitalize on opportunities for expansion that you might not discover locally.
- Massive exposure for a relatively cheap cost: Online marketing allows you to reach a global audience for a relatively cheap price. This allows any company (regardless of its size) to compete in the globalised market.
- Reliable location for all relevant information about your brand: By establishing your brand online, you will have a consistent location where you may post all relevant information about your company. Your customers will be able to easily find various information about new products, promotions and working hours easily from your website enforcing your brand and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Social Media interactions: By constantly interacting with your customer base via social media, you can build customer loyalty by constantly encouraging them to express their opinions and letting them know that their opinion matters. A customer that is loyal to the brand is much more likely to talk about it and recommend it to others.
B) Types of Online Marketing
1: Display Ads
This is the simplest and oldest form of online advertising. It involved strategic banner ads on various websites in order to generate traffic for your business. This process can be simplified by using an Ad agency such as Google Ads. Which manages the placement of your ads on various sites and track lots of useful statistics regarding the generated traffic. For more help regarding understanding analytics, check out our web traffic analytics guide.
SEO is the simplest way to achieve organic growth of your business. By optimizing your content for search engines, you are guaranteed a much higher ranking on the results page which ultimately leads to higher traffic going into your site. This is one of the easiest ways of establishing your presence online and you should definitely capitalize on it. To begin your first step of SEO, check out our SEO report generator tools. This will help you identify your major SEO issues. Next, you might want to check out our SEO techniques to help you sketch out an initial optimization plan for your future content.
3: Social Media Marketing
Social media is one of the most essential tools for establishing an online presence. After you have chosen the most relevant sites for your website, it is now time to establish your presence on it. This is done by creating an official page where customers can reach you at. This page will serve as an extension of your company where customers can go to find all kinds of information about your business. This creates a sense of consistency for the customers as well as an opportunity for customer interactions which builds up their loyalty to your brand which is an essential part of any brand build.
4: Content Marketing
Creating content for the purpose of attracting potential customers is known as content marketing. This can be in the form of written articles, videos or even as simple as a few pictures (for more ideas, check out this digital content article). This form of digital marketing is a great opportunity to show your brand’s innovation. You can convince the potential customer to try out your product through the various posts you create. This is especially useful when you are trying to introduce a brand to a new market where additional information about the product will convince them to try it. Having a content strategy is the real key to consistency. By creating a clear purpose for content creation, your employees will be able to create much more focused content that boosts your brand. When you are starting up your digital marketing campaign, it is often wise to hire an agency to provide you with an initial boost of content for your business. These content writers are professionals that know the current trends and tricks to ensure that your brand gets the massive exposure it deserves.
This specific type of digital marketing is involved with creating discussions that cause your brand to come up. There is no clear formula for going viral however, there are some common characteristics for such things. To begin with, viral content should be controversial to promote discussion. This can be done by involving your brand in a current trend, initiating your own through a “call to action” or even by engaging the viewer directly by asking for their opinions. However, viral marketing can be quite tricky to master it requires a lot of planning and the results are often unpredictable. A viral marketing success does not end at generating traffic, you need to direct this massive traffic towards your other content that should hopefully be engaging enough to retain the consumer’s interest. It is often a great compliment for your other online marketing mediums and should be considered only after you have fully optimized your other content.
This is the final form of online marketing where a partnership of mutual interest is built between influencers and businesses. The first party has a large viewer base that might intersect with the target audience of the second party. This allows for an opportunity where the influencer directs their viewers to the business. This provides great credibility for your brand because these viewers often respect the opinion of the influencer. By recommending your business, customers will positively associate your brand with that person which makes your brand trendy and desirable. This is great for your overall brand build as it allows you to become a part of an online culture. Once these customers try your brand and are satisfied by it, they are much more likely to stick without even trying the competition.
Sometimes it is necessary to stick to traditions. Despite the increasing popularity of online marketing, there is still room for traditional physical marketing. Despite being slightly out of date, physical marketing is still an essential part of any successful brand build. There are many forms of such marketing, allow us to walk you through some of the most popular physical mediums and how they can benefit your business. Benefits of Physical Marketing include:
- Establishing your presence in the local culture: When your brand is present everywhere in a local community, the customer’s brand recall is significantly increased which means that they are much more likely to consider your business. Integrating into the culture is an essential part of winning that market over and it should be treated with importance.
- Supporting the local community: By sponsoring local events, not only do you gain that massive exposure for your brand, but you also build up customer loyalty. Customers take great pride in their local community and knowing that the business supports it makes them much more likely to choose you over the competition. This can be done through supporting local sports teams, bands or even organizations. Earning you lots of goodwill as well as getting exposure for your brand throughout the local community.
- Local events: A good way to interest a local market in your business is to provide them with samples. This can be done by setting up booths in various points of interest in each local community. This enforces your brand and allows the opportunity for new customers to try out your products which might win them over.
Types of Physical Marketing
1: Billboard Ads
Perhaps the simplest type of physical marketing. This involved renting out an ad space that becomes your canvas for creativity. By using eye-catching, unique advertisements. Your street ad campaigns can show great results. Strategically placing said ads will ensure that you maximize your brand’s exposure and targeting certain locations where your target audience is can allow you to gain their loyalty.
This physical medium might seem outdated in comparison to online marketing, however, there is a certain niche that has yet to catch up to today’s technology. When targeting the technologically illiterate, it is often wise to use this traditional medium. Accompanied by an informative, customer friendly voice, you can capitalize on this niche that often has a high disposable income and a high tendency to prefer convenience over competitiveness.
This is one of the greatest opportunities for you to build up your brand’s customer loyalty. By supporting the various events like sports games, concerts or even fundraisers, you can gain massive goodwill with your customers. This makes them much more satisfied with your business and causes them to be much more likely to recommend your brand to others. Furthermore, new customers might be tempted to try out your product for the simple fact that you support the local community allowing you to compete with the globalised brands that seem to have dropped the personal touch.
4: Local Booths
Strategically placing your brand in various points of interest around the local community likes mall, theatres or otherwise. This is a great opportunity for you to establish your brand in a local market. Empowering your brand build while also increasing brand recall which ultimately is converted into more sales.
D) Measurements of Brand Success
- Brand Awareness: Several studies have been made in order to accurately measure the effectiveness of a brand campaign. There are several criteria for analyzing a brand’s efficacy. Here are some of the most basic terms.
- Brand Recall: This is a measurement of the customer’s ability to remember a brand with no visual or auditory help. It is otherwise known as unaided recall and it is often linked to extremely successful brands. This should be the ultimate goal of any brand as it shows that your marketing efforts have caught the eye of the public.
- Brand Recognition: This is the customer’s ability to identify a brand after being given a few visual or auditory hints. Despite not sounding as powerful as unaided recall, brand recognition is extremely important as it shows that your business is significant in a market. Brand recognition is not exclusive to customers, but the whole relevant market segment. When it comes to brand recognition, large numbers are your best friend. Because after all, you want your business to be known by as many people as possible. Increasing brand recognition is often the main factoring when considering changing a brand build.
- Top of Mind Awareness: Statistics have shown that a customer almost always chooses from the top 3 brands that they think about. This is another great measurement for when you are looking to see how your brand is doing vs. the competition. The focus group is asked to name 3 brands in a certain category. As a business owner, you aim to be the first brand they can name or at least your brand should be in the top 3.
- Online Interactions: A very simple method of identifying the success of a brand is to look at its online profiles and see the amount of followers/interaction they have. A well-established brand is expected to have a large following which should generate a large amount of interactions. This is quite simple to assess, requiring no extra costs. For further details about your online brand, you can use digital marketing analytics to help you assess the efficiency of your current brand build.
E) Simplifying the Process
Maintaining a brand is time-consuming and that’s why it is important to be as efficient as possible. Thankfully, there are various tools available at your disposal to help you carry out your brand build. These tools might require a lot of set up time, but they make your job much easier in the long run. Here are some tools that you might find useful in helping your brand build come to life.
Project Management Tools
When it comes to tough projects like maintaining your brand presence, your best friend becomes efficiency. With the aid of these project management tools, you can minimize the time wasted and accurately track the progress of all your marketing team. Now, let us go through the available project management tools.
- Microsoft Project: This tool made by Microsoft will help you track several projects at once and allocate your resources to them. This tool also makes collaboration between your different team members easier by allowing multiple users to work on the same file simultaneously. It also simplifies the process of scheduling to ensure that there are no conflicts. Finally, This tool can help you assess the efficiency of your marketing campaign by generating reports and charts for any of your projects.
- Zoho Projects: In addition to the previously stated features, Zoho Projects allows your employees to log their working hour in case they are working for home or if you have hired freelancers. This simplifies the process of managing freelance work hour logging allowing you to focus on other tasks.
- JIRA: This final tool adds an extra level of management by having an integrated comment system where members can leave comments for others. Furthermore, you can track the progress of your projects via milestones and percentage completion so you are up to date on your team’s achievement.
2: Digital Marketing Consultancy
When you are just starting out on your online presence, it is often wise to hire an agency to set up and manage your online marketing. This will allow you to learn more about the aspect of digital marketing and learn from their expertise. Here are some of the skills that a digital marketing consultancy can offer:
- Understanding of analytics
- Writing skills
- Knowledge of PPC
- Knowledge of Google AdWords
- How to conduct successful email campaigns
- Knowledge of SEO
- Knowledge of the creative process
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Working knowledge of the computer and responsive design
By hiring these professionals you can be certain that your brand is getting the attention it deserves while you get to learn valuable online marketing tactics.
3. Social Media Marketing Services
After you have setup your Facebook business page, you can advertise it using Facebook’s ad service. This gives your business the exposure it deserves and ensures that all the relevant users are aware of your business. Next, you can benefit from Facebook’s messenger integration to allow customers to directly text an employee regarding their inquiries. This has proved to be an effective method of interacting with customers and building up their brand loyalty.
This professional agency will lend your business their line-up of extremely talented digital marketers that will take your brand build to the next level. Here are some of the services that they offer:
- Social Consultancy
- Brand Management
- Brand voice setup
- Social Media Monitoring
- Social Media Ad setup
- Online PR management
Screamingfrog is used by many successful brands like Shazam, Morph costumes, and Suite Hub. They pride themselves in their extremely successful marketing campaigns that have generated lots of traffic for business and helped establish them as market leaders.
This agency provides a complete package for establishing and maintaining a brand, starting from creating your online brand to creating your marketing strategy and maintaining your presence through content creation. They have been in the digital marketing game for a long time and they are confident in their ability to benefit your business from their experience. They have a reputation to keep and that is why they are extremely selective when it comes to their clients.
Social Media Tools
- TweetDeck: This popular browser-based social media tool will help you manage your online interactions with your twitter base. This tool will allow you to manage multiple accounts at once. Additionally, you can create columns that can track certain keywords or hashtags in order to keep up with relevant trends and topics. Also, TweetDeck allows you to schedule content in advance which means that you can schedule the whole week’s worth of content at once saving you time and effort. Finally, you can set up custom notifications to allow you to quickly respond to customer inquiries, enforcing that strong brand presence you are aiming for.
- Hootsuite: This social media management tool helps you schedule, This great tool will provide you with valuable analytics that can be easily exported for use with Google Analytics or Facebook Insights. The HootSuite dashboard also provides you with various social profiles that allow you to send targeted messages to your target market. HootSuite also simplifies collaboration if multiple employees are in charge of your online brand. But having a good understanding of this powerful tool, you can maximize your brand’s exposure while also saving you valuable time and effort.
- Quuu: This is a great tool for social media content curation which allows you to keep up with the recent trends that are relevant to your business. After you enter all your relevant tags, Quuu will generate a list of content suggestions for your business. It integrates with Buffer and HubSpot, streamlining the process of social media content analysis. This allows you to always stay relevant to the current trends, allowing for more customer interactions for your business while also introducing your brand to new potential customers. Your topics are hand picked by the Quuu staff in order to ensure that they are interesting and up to date. You can also upgrade to their premium service for only $10/month.
- Social Clout: This intuitive tool allows you to effectively analyze the efficacy of your online social media presence. These tools will provide you with various useful analytics regarding your page and it’s content like the amount of engagement and demographics. Through these various statistics, you can identify which type of posts generate the most traffic and which social media website is the most effective. Other statistics regarding demographics can help you determine the optimum time for you to post your content in order to maximize exposure.
- Buzzsumo: Buzzsumo is a specialized search engine for businesses that allows you to search for popular content related to a keyword. This simplifies keyword research and allows you to find upcoming trends. Furthermore, by researching the keywords that are relevant to your business, you can easily identify the competition. This tool is extremely useful for digital marketing and most successful brand use it. Some of these brands include IBM; Symantec, BuzzFeed, National Geographic and The Telegraph.
Brand Building Tools
- Canva: This free tool simplifies the process of graphic design. By allowing you to create professional looking graphics with no training necessary, anyone can create appealing graphics to compliment their brand build. These graphics can be used for your digital marketing on social media or you might even use them as a part of physical ads. This easy to use graphics editor is even available on iPad which allows you to work on your graphics on the go. It is designed with social media content in mind and you’ll find that most templates are relevant to the formats of various popular social media sites. Additionally, this free tool will also provide you with millions of stock photos in order to kick-start your branding process.
- BigWing: This brand building agency will help you create a smart brand build then help you realize that plan. To begin with, BigWing can help you with your brand build by helping you find a suitable name, logo color palette and defining voice. Having a clear understanding of your brand build will then allow you to effectively carry it out which ultimately leads to your business achieving that strong brand in no time. BigWing has a diverse staff of professional digital marketers that specialize in various business. You are almost guaranteed to find a relevant digital marketer that will help you establish your brand while also providing you with valuable info regarding the current market due to their experience in it.
F) Brand Building Success Stories
Now that we have discussed every aspect of a brand build, let us observe some success stories of powerful brands which should motivate you to start working on your own.
- GoPro: GoPro is a company that prides itself in their high-quality cameras that are super portable and almost indestructible. They realized that there is nothing better than customers marketing the products for them. That is why they are featuring some of the best customer-created videos on their site and social media. These are often videos of trendy sports or adventures. However, one particular video caught the eye of the public. It was this video of the firefighter with a GoPro attached to his helmet saving a kitten. This video evoked emotions in many and its upload on the official GoPro YouTube has reached over 5 million views. In this case, GoPro realized that it’s brand’s power comes from the customer and that’s why they have chosen a customer friendly voice that revolved around customer interactions. By constantly interacting with customers and engaging them by giving them the opportunity to display their content on the official GoPro page, the business has established itself in the field of the portable camera directed at thrill seekers. Their success can also be attributed to the fact that they had identified their target audience early on which allowed them to cater to them.
- Virgin America Airlines: This business understood that customers were frustrated with the current flying experience. That is why the focused their branding around making flying enjoyable again. Their advertising campaigns revolved around the various luxuries the customer can enjoy instead of the usual “competitive prices”. They focused on creating the best flying experience which allowed them to become a leader in the market which ultimately led to them having higher profits as people chose to fly with them over the cheaper alternatives. Their brand slogan of “Make flying good again.” was an extremely successful campaign that differentiated them from the competition and built customer loyalty.
If you’ve made it to this point, you should now be aware of the importance of having a strong brand. This can only be done through proper planning and consistency. This is why your initial brand build needs to be clear and comprehensive. This ensures that no one strays away from the main focus of your brand. By knowing your target audience and adjusting your brand build towards them, you can benefit from customer loyalty which allows for the exponential growth of your business through positive “word of mouth advertising”.
After you have done the necessary research regarding the brand build, it is now time to start working on spreading your brand. There are two main ways to market your brand, the physical and the digital marketing. They happen to compliment each other very well which makes it a good idea to work on both of them simultaneously. Next, we provided you with some tools that will help you simplify the process by making research easier, automating some jobs or even hire specialized agencies. Make sure that you follow this guide when establishing your brand in order to make sure that your business’s vision comes to life.