In today’s dynamic social media landscape, Snapchat stands out as a platform that empowers users to capture and share their moments with a unique blend of creativity and personalisation.
Among its diverse array of features, Snapchat Geofilters have emerged as a captivating tool that transforms ordinary snaps into visually engaging and location-specific memories. Whilst you might be familiar with Snapchat as a fun way to share photos, some overlook that it is a useful business and event planning tool. This social media tool has extreme potential to elevate elements of your business.
In this blog we will dive right into the intricacies of snapchat geofilters to give you everything you need to know to best utilise them within your digital content marketing.
Table of Contents
What Is A Snapchat Geofilter? : A Comprehensive Guide
Snapchat Geofilters are essentially digital overlays that are automatically applied to snaps (photo or video) based on the user’s location. These overlays can range from simple text graphics to elaborate designs, often incorporating the location’s name, landmarks, or popular events.
A Snapchat Geofilter is a personal filter that allows other Snapchat users to connect to and find an event or location on the app. It is great for bringing together friends to a specific area as well as for personalizing images. For businesses is is a powerful way to connect with more people and to advertise though anyone who chooses to use the filter while at the location.
The snapchat filter is available to anyone who has a snapchat account and takes a picture using the app in a specific location, and is able to be seen by everyone on the friends list of the person who took the snap as well as people who search that location.
Snapchat geofilters can be broadly categorized into two main types:
- Community Geofilters: These are geofilters created by Snapchat users and are available for anyone to use within a specific location. They often feature designs related to local landmarks, events, or popular culture references.
- Branded Geofilters: These are geofilters created by businesses or organizations to promote their brand, event, or product. They typically feature the brand’s logo, slogan, or other recognizable branding elements
The magic behind Snapchat Geofilters lies in their ability to seamlessly integrate with the platform’s geolocation functionality. As users create snaps, Snapchat detects their location and matches it to a database of available Geofilters. If a relevant Geofilter exists for that location, it is automatically applied to the snap, adding a touch of personalisation and local flair.
Snapchat geofilters serve a variety of purposes, including:
- Personalisation: Geofilters allow users to add a unique touch to their snaps, making them more memorable and shareable.
- Location Awareness: Geofilters help users connect with their surroundings and express their location in a creative way.
- Branding and Marketing: Businesses can leverage geofilters to increase brand awareness, promote events, and engage with customers at specific locations.
- Event Enhancement: Geofilters can add excitement and festivity to special events, creating a sense of community and shared experience among attendees.
The impact of Snapchat Geofilters extends beyond just aforementioned visual enhancement. They serve as a powerful tool for connecting users to their surroundings, fostering a sense of community and shared experiences.
Whether capturing a moment at a local festival, commemorating a visit to a famous landmark, or simply adding a touch of local pride to everyday snaps, Geofilters provide a unique way to contextualize and personalize one’s experiences.
Snapchat geofilters have a significant impact on both users and businesses:
- Enhanced Sharing Experience: Geofilters provide a fun and creative way to personalize snaps, making them more appealing to share with friends and followers.
- Location-Based Engagement: Geofilters connect users to their surroundings, encouraging them to explore and share their experiences from specific locations.
- Sense of Community: Geofilters can foster a sense of community among users who share similar interests or are attending the same event.
Business Geofilters can be created to:
- Increase Brand Awareness and Reach: Geofilters provide a targeted and effective way to increase brand visibility among Snapchat users at specific locations.
- Promote Events: Geofilters can generate excitement and engagement for events, attracting more attendees and promoting brand association.
- Engage Customers: Geofilters encourage user interaction with the brand, fostering positive customer relationships and building brand loyalty.
In essence, Snapchat Geofilters have transformed the way users interact with the platform, adding a layer of location-based personalization and creative expression to their snaps.
They serve as a bridge between the digital and physical worlds, capturing the essence of a place and enhancing the user’s connection to their surroundings. Whether for personal expression, community engagement, or brand promotion, Snapchat Geofilters have become an indispensable element of the Snapchat experience.
How Can I Create A Custom Snapchat Geofilter For My Location?
After you have a Snapchat account and now can answer ‘what is a Snapchat Geofilter’, you’re read to select which type of filter you are interested in and the app guides you from there.
Snapchat Geofilters can be created for events such as concerts, weddings, and festivals, they can be created for areas in a community such as school or park, and they can be created for businesses. After choosing which filter fits your needs use their template to create the perfect filter.
You pick your location area you want and end date to run the filter until. Keep in mind while picking a location and size that this determines your reach with your personal filter. The minimum space starts at 20,000 square feet of reach, at an event or busy city location this can reach many people.
The size of your filter should be calculation based on the individual situation, a wedding or party for example would likely be well met with the smallest size whereas a booth at a festival may want to reach most of the event grounds to bring more people to the business while they are nearby.
They can also be a great way to advertise. For instance a brand could have an event and they could provide a geo-filter for the location of that brand.
How do I get Geofilters on Snapchat?
Getting a Snapchat Geofilter is a easy as following the prompt on the app, they make the process simple but remember that your personal Geofilter should be creative, to the point, and relevant to your target audience. To find other Geofilters to use on your photos first make sure that your location services are turned on in the Snapchat app, then simply swipe right to see your location specific filters.
This is a great way to check in and commemorate events like concerts and visiting special places. For business owners it brings the attention of local Snapchat users that you are there, as well as advertising to all the people who see each Snap that is sent. When done right, this tool can literally put your business on the map.
How to make a Snapchat Geofilter?
- It is simple to design a geofilter using their template. However keep in mind that a Geofilter will have to adhere to Snapchat’s submission guidelines and be preapproved so make sure your filter is appropriate. Make sure that you submit it for approve before your planned event date, or business opening. While creating a Geofilter you decide its type and location.
- The Snapchat Geofilter size will determine, in part, the Snapchat Geofilters cost. So when it comes time to choose the area of the location be sure to balance your budget with your reach goals.
- Snapchat Geofilter also allows you to tour the world with your fingertips using Snap Map. This is a great way to connect people globally, and to allow people to see Snaps of people at events they were not able to attend themselves or areas that they may be curious about. This feature connects regular people on a world-wide level, often in real time, like never before.
- The benefits for advertising with this feature are tremendous, and the more creative and concise the Geofilter is, the more likely it will be chosen by people who like to use location specific filters.
Step-by-step Instructions on creating custom Snapchat Geofilters:
Step 1: Plan Your Geofilter
Before diving into the creative process, take some time to plan your Geofilter. Consider the following factors:
- Purpose: What is the main goal of your Geofilter? Are you creating it for a personal event, promoting a brand, or simply adding a touch of creativity to your snaps?
- Design: Sketch out or visualize the design of your Geofilter. What elements do you want to include? Keep in mind that Snapchat’s Geofilter guidelines restrict certain types of content.
- Timing and Location: Determine the duration and location for which your Geofilter will be active. This will help you set the appropriate submission timeframe.
Step 2: Create Your Geofilter Artwork
Once you have a clear concept for your Geofilter, it’s time to create the artwork. Follow these guidelines:
- File Format: Save your Geofilter artwork as a PNG or JPEG file.
- Resolution: Use a resolution of at least 1080px by 1920px. This ensures your Geofilter looks sharp and clear when applied to snaps.
- Color Scheme: Choose colors that complement each other and are easy to read against various backgrounds.
- Text Legibility: Ensure any text elements are large enough and use a clear font for easy readability.
- Adhere to Guidelines: Review Snapchat’s Geofilter guidelines to avoid any restrictions or content violations.
Step 3: Submit Your Geofilter
Once your artwork is ready, head to Snapchat’s Create Your Own Geofilters page and follow these steps:
- Sign In: Sign in to your Snapchat account.
- Select Geofilter Type: Choose whether you want to create a Community Filter or Moment Filter.
- Upload Artwork: Upload your Geofilter artwork file.
- Select Date and Time: Set the start and end dates for your Geofilter’s availability.
- Define Location: Draw a fence around the area where your Geofilter should appear.
- Review and Submit: Review all your details and submit your Geofilter for review.
Step 4: Review and Approval
Submission for review will receive a confirmation email. Snapchat will typically review your Geofilter within 24 hours. If approved, you’ll receive a notification, and your Geofilter will be activated as per the specified date and time.
- Use High-Quality Images: Ensure your artwork is high-quality and visually appealing to make a lasting impression.
- Keep it Simple: Avoid overly complex designs that might clutter the screen or make text difficult to read.
- Align with Your Brand: If creating a Geofilter for a brand, ensure it aligns with the brand’s identity and messaging.
- Test and Iterate: Once your Geofilter is active, test it out and make adjustments if necessary to improve its effectiveness.
By following these steps and tips, you can create engaging and memorable Snapchat Geofilters that enhance your snaps, promote your brand, or simply add a touch of fun and personalization to your social media experience.
What is Snapchat Geofilter Approval Criteria?
Snapchat has a set of strict guidelines for approving Geofilters to ensure that they meet the platform’s standards for quality, safety, and user experience. Here are some of the key criteria that Snapchat considers when evaluating Geofilter submissions:
- Originality: Geofilters should be creative and visually appealing, while also being original and avoiding replicating existing Geofilters or designs.
- Brand Identity: If creating a Geofilter for a brand, ensure it aligns with the brand’s identity, messaging, and overall brand aesthetic.
- Clarity: Text elements should be clear and easy to read, and the overall design should not be cluttered or difficult to interpret.
- Branding: Avoid excessive branding or logos on Geofilters. A subtle logo or brand reference may be acceptable, but excessive branding can make the Geofilter appear promotional and less likely to be approved.
- Ethics and Content: Geofilters should not contain any inappropriate or offensive content, including nudity, violence, hate speech, or discriminatory language.
- User Experience: Geofilters should not obstruct or interfere with the core Snapchat experience. Avoid overly large or intrusive designs that might cover up important elements of snaps.
- Technical Quality: Geofilters should be submitted in the correct file format (PNG or JPEG) and meet the minimum resolution requirements (1080px by 1920px).
Snapchat Geofilter Best Practices
In addition to following the approval criteria, there are several best practices to keep in mind when creating Snapchat Geofilters:
- Planning: Before starting the design process, clearly define the purpose, theme, and target audience for your Geofilter. This will help you create a Geofilter that is relevant and effective.
- Simplicity: Keep your Geofilter design simple and uncluttered. Avoid excessive text or elements that might make it difficult to read or understand.
- Color Palette: Choose a color palette that is visually appealing and complements the location or theme of your Geofilter. Ensure that colors are consistent and easy to read against various backgrounds.
- Target Audience: Consider the target audience for your Geofilter when developing the design. Use language and imagery that resonates with your target demographic.
- Testing: Once your Geofilter is approved, test it out to ensure it looks good and functions correctly on different devices and screen sizes. Make adjustments as needed.
- Feedback: Gather feedback from potential users or beta testers to identify any areas for improvement in your Geofilter.
- Consistency: Ensure your Geofilter is consistent with other branded materials or visuals used by your organization. Maintain a unified brand identity across all platforms.
- Timeliness: Submit your Geofilter well in advance of the event, promotion, or location you want it to be available for. This allows Snapchat enough time to review and approve your submission.
Using Snapchat Geofilters as a Marketing Tool
Snapchat Geofilters have emerged as a powerful marketing tool for businesses and organizations to connect with their target audience, promote their brand, and drive engagement. These location-based overlays offer a unique opportunity to enhance user experiences, foster brand recognition, and create memorable interactions.
Marketing Use Cases for Snapchat Geofilters
- Event Promotion: Create Geofilters for specific events, such as conferences, product launches, or grand openings, to generate buzz, promote the event’s location, and encourage attendees to share their experiences.
- Brand Awareness and Recognition: Develop Geofilters that incorporate your brand logo, tagline, or key messaging to increase brand visibility and familiarity among users.
- Location-Based Marketing: Utilize Geofilters to target specific locations, such as retail stores, restaurants, or tourist attractions, to attract customers, promote in-store offers, and encourage social sharing.
- User-Generated Content: Incentivize users to create their own Geofilters for contests, campaigns, or user-generated content initiatives to foster brand engagement and generate organic content.
- Social Media Integration: Integrate your Geofilter campaigns with other social media platforms to amplify your reach, encourage cross-promotion, and drive traffic to your social media pages.
Tips for Driving Engagement with Snapchat Geofilters
- Know Your Audience: Understand your target audience’s preferences, interests, and online behavior to create Geofilters that resonate with them.
- Creativity and Design: Focus on creating visually appealing, creative, and engaging Geofilters that capture attention and encourage sharing.
- Relevance and Context: Ensure your Geofilters are relevant to the location, event, or theme they are associated with.
- Clear Call to Action: Include a clear call to action, such as using a hashtag or visiting a website, to encourage specific user behaviour.
- Promote Your Geofilters: Spread the word about your Geofilters through social media, email marketing, and in-person promotions to drive participation.
- Track and Analyze: Monitor the performance of your Geofilters, including views, shares, and engagement metrics, to identify what works best and optimize your campaigns.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Partner with relevant influencers or local personalities to create and promote Geofilters, leveraging their reach and credibility.
- Regularly Innovate: Continuously create fresh and innovative Geofilters to maintain user interest and keep your brand top-of-mind.
- Personalize the Experience: Utilize personalization features like user names or location data to create unique and memorable Geofilter experiences.
- Embrace User Feedback: Encourage user feedback and suggestions to improve your Geofilters and enhance the overall user experience.
Unveiling the Mysteries of Snapchat Geofilters: A Q&A Session for Beginners and Advanced Users
Q: What are the benefits of using Snapchat Geofilters for marketing?
A: Snapchat Geofilters offer several benefits for marketing, including:
- Enhanced brand awareness and recognition
- Increased engagement and user interaction
- Location-based targeting and promotion
- User-generated content and brand advocacy
- Integration with broader social media strategies
Q: How much does it cost to create and submit a Snapchat Geofilter?
A: Creating and submitting a Snapchat Geofilter is free. However, there may be costs associated with designing and producing high-quality artwork for your Geofilter, this will vary dependent on what you have created.
Q: How long does it take for Snapchat to approve a Geofilter?
A: Snapchat typically reviews Geofilter submissions within 24 hours. However, it is recommended to submit your Geofilter well in advance of the event or promotion to ensure timely approval.
Q: How can I measure the success of my Snapchat Geofilter campaign?
A: Snapchat provides metrics such as views, shares, and engagement rates to track the performance of your Geofilter campaigns. You can also use analytics tools to measure the impact of your Geofilters on broader brand awareness and social media engagement.
Summary: Is your business missing out?
Snapchat Geofilters have emerged as a powerful tool for businesses and organizations to connect with their target audience, amplify their brand presence, and drive meaningful engagement across the platform. By leveraging the marketing use cases and tips outlined in this comprehensive guide, marketers can effectively harness the potential of Snapchat Geofilters to create memorable experiences, foster brand loyalty, and achieve their marketing goals.