Understanding content marketing means, no matter whether you’re a small business owner or CEO of a major corporation, understanding how to benefit from everything this vital form of marketing has to offer.
Many a company today can attribute their success and prosperity to a brilliant content marketing campaign. Understanding the potential of content brings will help build your confidence to include this tool in your marketing strategy.
Read on for our essential guide…
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is a marketing strategy designed to make use of relevant, valuable content to attract new clients, generate leads and boost sales.
A good content marketing campaign will not only win the attention of your target audience, it will encourage customer engagement, build a following and inspire loyalty to your brand AND all without intrusively pitching your services or products.
Blog posts, articles, podcasts, video blogs, social media posts and webinars are various forms of content marketing used by industries today to promote their individual businesses.
What makes content marketing so effective in reaching a target audience? Quality content people consider to be relevant, informative and engaging. This will draw consumers to your site and inspire them to return for more.
By providing consumers with quality content on a consistent basis in your particular niche, you can establish yourself as a leader in your field. Over time, your audience will come to recognise the value of the content you provide and will turn to you for answers to their questions or help in resolving problems in your line of expertise.
This is how you turn readers into followers and followers into buyers.
Startups, small businesses and large corporations alike can benefit from incorporating content marketing into their overall marketing strategy. Here are a few guidelines to help you create valuable content for your website, blog or social media platforms:
- Target a specific audience
- Make content pertinent to your target audience
- Choose content topics that will draw attention to your site
- Create content that encourages audience engagement
Content marketing techniques can be used in all aspects of a marketing strategy to include printed materials, social media, email campaigns, event planning and more.
A good content marketing campaign will leave a lasting impression on your target audience and help you develop a positive relationship with your customers. Through content marketing, you can develop customer trust and loyalty to your brand.
Find inspirational marketing campaigns here: 5 of the Most Successful Marketing Campaigns Ever | 15 Iconic Marketing Campaigns in History | 30 Brands with Great DM Campaigns
Three Components of a Successful Content Marketing Campaign
Some main components are essential to the success of any content marketing campaign:
1. Relevant Content – Creating content that’s relevant to your target audience is the first step in drawing people to your site and building a loyal following. To create relevant content, you’ll need to learn what topics are of interest to prospective customers within your particular field. Your content should be interesting, informative and useful in answering people’s questions or helping them resolve problems. It should appeal to customers on their level and encourage them to turn to your business when they have needs within your industry.
2. Valued Content – Your content should offer tangible value that fills a need within your line of expertise. If you can provide customers with important information that they can’t find elsewhere, it’ll be sure to attract them to your site. You can also produce content that answers specific questions in your industry or offers valuable counsel that can simplify people’s lives. Such content will distinguish you from your competition and could help build a customer base increasingly loyal to your brand.
3. Consistent, Quality Content – Although there have been instances where content has ‘gone viral’ and put a business on the map overnight, most content marketing campaigns depend on consistent, quality content to get positive results. Consistent quality content will help you retain customers for long term success.
Establishing Content Marketing Goals
Adding content marketing to your company’s overall marketing strategy can help you accomplish more in less time. By establishing content marketing goals, you can keep track of how your campaign is doing to get optimum results. Depending on your business, your goals could be:
- Create brand awareness: Make your brand known to the public at large
- Expand target audience: Draw more people to your website or blog
- Generate leads: Identify prospective customers
- Develop loyal following: Retain business by converting target audience into loyal customers
- Increase sales: Close more deals to generate greater revenue for your business
Remember: content marketing works best when integrated into other marketing strategies to reach your business goals.
What is Visual Content Marketing?
Visual content marketing can make your content marketing strategy even more effective in the long run. What is visual content marketing? It’s a content marketing strategy using images to relay valuable data in an attractive and appealing format.
Visual content marketing has greater potential to attract more traffic to your site and promote your brand. Creative photos, branded images, infographics and videos are just a few examples of visuals used in a visual marketing campaign.
There are numerous advantages to incorporating visuals into your content marketing campaign. Visual content is more likely to jump off the page than text alone, making it more attractive to your target audience. You can break up text with interesting images to help get your message across.
Most of all: most people find images easier and faster to process, giving you greater bang for your buck in promoting what you have to offer.
There are a few more good reasons to incorporate visual content marketing into your marketing campaign:
1. Images make good introductions for your content, paving the way for customer engagement.
2. Images can serve as advertisements for written content, particularly on social media, to entice more viewers to click on the article.
3. Images can help clarify your content so there’s no misunderstanding in the message you want to get across.
4. Images with stimulating text messages can peak the curiosity of consumers, prompting them to read the article in its entirety.
5. Images in graph format combine both words and images to make your message that much easier to understand.
Examples of Visual Content Marketing
There are countless ways to use visual content in your marketing strategy. Depending on your niche, you can focus on one or several of the following types of visuals to maximise your marketing efforts.
Infographics – These can be serious or lighthearted, depending on the message you want to get across. The more creative you are in your infographic designs, the greater your chances of getting the results you desire.
Photos – Creativity is also the key to getting great results from photo imagery. Good industry-related photos presented in an appealing, creative way can do much to attract audience attention and generate leads.
Visuals with Text Overlays – Visuals with text overlays can do much to attract a crowd. A catchy phrase within an attractive visual can be easily retained by consumers, keeping your brand in the forefront of their minds.
To make your visuals work harder for you:
- Include one or more images in all your social media posts to boost customer engagement.
- Break up written content with images, graphs or videos to hold audience attention.
- The effective use of colours will give your visuals a professional touch. Colours can also be used to promote and distinguish your brand.
- Invest in professional graphic design when necessary to make the best first impression you can.
- Originality is key to making visual content marketing work on your behalf. Use your creativity to come up with original ideas, visuals and designs.
What is Content Marketing in Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a type of marketing using digital channels to get its message across. It draws invarious marketing techniques including SEO, social media, email marketing, mobile marketing, pay for click ads, content marketing and more.
Content marketing can be a powerhouse when used in the digital marketing arena as businesses can connect with consumers through the digital channels they use most. Digital marketing also gives business owners a means of assessing the effects of their marketing strategy to help focus their efforts in the most effective areas.
To launch a successful content marketing campaign through digital marketing channels, you need to know your target audience. Understanding the needs of your customers is key to producing content that will motivate them to use your services or buy their product.
It also helps you determine what channels to use to reach those interested in your industry.
Some main steps can be helpful in producing quality content that will resonate with your audience:
Let Customers Decide
By aligning content with customers’ interests, you give consumers greater leeway to dictate your content to meet their need. This can help strengthen your business/customer relationship and draw them closer to your brand. Consumers appreciate a company that caters to their wants and needs. If your content resonates well with your audience, you stand a better chance of gaining their loyalty and trust.
Divide Target Audience by Touchpoints
Your target audience may be at different touchpoints in their customer journey. Some may be just starting to notice your business while others may be fully engaged. By dividing your audience according to their customer journey touchpoint, you can target them with content more suited to their need. This reduces the risk of alienating customers with the wrong message at the wrong time.
Encourage Customer Engagement
Encourage customer engagement at all levels of your digital marketing campaign. This enables you to gain greater insight into what your audience wants and needs. By monitoring customer input and behavior via their reactions to posted content, you can make wise decisions on future marketing investments to maximize your return on investment (ROI) for the content you produce and post.
Summary: The Key to Content Marketing?
The most productive content marketing campaigns are those that are customer-centric.
Businesses who consistently produce valuable content and utilise all the tools of an effective content marketing campaign – such as visuals and digital marketing – are more likely to succeed in reaching and engaging with customers.
Our FREE ProfileTree knowledge archive… Content Marketing and Your Business| Content Marketing Trends| Content Marketing Strategy | What is a CMS? | Personal Development: Quick Guide | Digital Marketing Tools 2018 | What Are Tools for Business Analytics? | Types of Business Strategies