Tweets, retweets, followers and more! This is a list of some of the most useful free Twitter analytics tools that help Twitter users to understand their Twitter reach and drill down to what works to get more attention on Twitter.
ALSO SEE: How to Schedule Tweets
What are Twitter Analytic Tools?
Twitter analytic tools provide valuable data on your Twitter profile. Twitter analytics looks at followers, un-followers, engagement rate, retweets and interactions. Using various twitter analytic tools allows you to see a clearer and more accurate picture of how your Twitter page is performing than by just using one as different analytic tools may give differed outcomes.
- Twitter Analytics
- Social Bearing
This tool comes in both a free version and paid premium version with enhanced features. It is easy to get started, simply sign in with your Twitter account.
Twitonomy allows a Twitter user to learn more about their tweets and which ones are retweeted. It tracks replies, mentions, and gives information about the popularity of hashtags.
The browsing, search and filter functions help to learn more about the people who are someone’s Twitter followers and the people being followed in Twitter. A convenient export function allows one to capture and catalogue tweets, mentions, and retweets. The backup feature creates either an excel or pdf file for convenient offline use or for import into other analytical programs.
Twitonomy has an easy-to-use interface that helps monitor Twitter activity. This makes it super easy to monitor Tweets from favourite users, preferred lists, and keywords that are a priority.
These search analytics are available:
- Popular Tweets
- Most Retweeted
One very nice feature of this tool makes it easy to browse, filter, search, and sort lists. It allows batch adding or removing of people. Recommended actions come from a “Followers Report,” which includes a list of followers that are not followed back. The followers’ list is also available to download as an excel file.
A nice feature for this tool is the ability to track clicks on the links in Tweets and to have statistics on the growth of Twitter followers over time.
An interesting recent use of Twitonomy was by Burson-Marsteller. Twitonomy provided the data for the 4th edition of Twiplomacy, which is a study about how world-leaders use Twitter to connect with their supporters and others.
Tweepi is a free Twitter analytics tool with the option to pay for a premium plan. A tweep is the word used for a person who uses Twitter. Tweepi concentrates on the engagement of your twitter account. Some of the features of Tweepi are;
- Tweepi allows you to manage and view your followers and unfollowers.
- It identifies spam account and followers who add no value to your account.
- Follow Followers: You can use this tool to identify and connect with Tweeps who have interests similar to yours.
- Follow Friends: If there is a user that you are interested in, this tool allows you to follow who they are following.
- Paste & Analyse: Can copy and paste a list of tweeps and get data like who they are following and have they unfollowed you.
- List Members: If you have found a Twitter list that you like this tool allows you to follow its users directly.
There are also extra features with the platinum plan
- Tweet Search: This tool helps with specifically targeting users who have tweeted about a topic of interest to you and also can filter down to location.
- User Search: This tool makes it possible to find users by searching for a keyword such as name, company or interest.
Twitter itself offers a nice set of free analytical tools to help Twitter users get more out of the Twitter system. The reason why this tool is not on the top of the list of the free Twitter analytics tools is simply that this is a very thinly disguised ploy by Twitter to get more paid advertisers.
Google does this with Adwords, Twitter does this with “Twitter Cards.” Twitter cards track how many apps are installed, how many clicks happen, and how many tweets are retweeted.
In general, the third-party free Twitter analytics tools are vastly superior to the official Twitter tools and they are more focused on information and less focused on selling advertising.
This tool is both free for the simple version and paid for the advanced version. The free version allows management of two Twitter accounts and scheduling of 5 posts. For more than that number of Twitter accounts, a Twitter user needs to pay for using the Hootsuite tools. Nevertheless, even the free version of Hootsuite is awesome.
Here are some of the exceptional features of Hootsuite:
- Marketing campaigns are easy to launch
- Twitter posts can be scheduled in advance
- Audience parameters are identifiable
- Custom reports are available based on specific searches
- Tracking of posts, mentions, tweets, retweets, and Twitter lists are available
One thing that makes Hootsuite stand way above the rest of the social media tools it that is can be used to track engagement across all social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+.
Hootsuite allows a user to create a separate listening stream for each of the social media networks based on user-selected parameters.
Followerwonk is a tool for Twitter users to analyse Twitter activity and to see how to increase Twitter exposure. Followerwonk helps Twitter users to dig down deeper into the analytics of Twitter followers to learn where they are located and what are the most interesting things they like.
Followerwonk helps to analyze these things:
- Search the bios of Twitter users to find those to connect with, who have similar likes and make connections easily.
- Organize Twitter accounts to find the most influential Twitter postings.
- Track followers by geophysical location, biographical information, and whom they follow.
- Compare relationships between friends and competitors.
- Follow and un-follow others with extreme accuracy.
- Optimize efforts for the most impact.
- Track the influencers and get their attention.
- Take advantage of the visual social graphs to see the big picture of Twitter influence.
- Share reports of Twitter activity with everyone else.
Buffer controls the sharing and posting times for Tweets to achieve maximum impact. Schedule Tweets for posting well in advance and have the postings come out at the best times. Buffer automates postings to come out at a set period at intervals that make them most effective.
Buffers free plan allows users to manage up to three twitter profiles and 10 scheduled posts per profile.
Buffer gives smart analytics, which includes the timing of the postings for the best results.
This service allows a Twitter user to map the interactivity of other Twitter users and see where they are physically located in the world. With Mentionmapp, there is a map available of followers in any network. The Mentionmapp network shows the usage of hashtags and mentions by users based on the most recent engagement with a Twitter user. This helps discover new people that may be relevant and part of a niche of supporters.
Mentionmapp is a visual analytics tool that shows the connections between different Twitter profiles.
Foller.me is a free Twitter analytics tool that gives you useful information on your Twitter Followers and allows you to analyse competition. It is a very simple analytics tool to use as all you have to do is enter your Twitter handle into the searchbar. The metrics that Foller.me uses are as follows;
- Information: Foller.me provides you with information on your Twitter profile for example, your name, bio, set-up date, language and location.
- Statistics: Counts how many tweets you have made, how many followers you have, how many you are following, your followers ratio and how many times your twitter profile has been listed.
- Topics: Uses a tag cloud to show what words are getting the most traffic. The more a specific word is used the bigger it will be in the tag cloud.
- Hashtags: Foller.me will show you the most popular hashtags associated with your Twitter profile.
- Tweets Analysis: In depth analysis on your tweets includes number of replies, tweets with mentions and hashtags, retweets, tweets with links and media. It also gives a list of the your Twitter profiles most linked domains and your usage.
- Attitude: Foller.me even tracks how many sad or happy emojis you have used on your Twitter profile.
- Time: Can show when a user is most active on Twitter therefore allowing you to know the best time to target them.
Social Bearings analytics tools enable you to locate and filter followers or tweets according to factors like geography, emotion, or engagement. It analyses your reach, impressions, retweets and replies.
Geotagged tweets allow you to find the top influencers, posts and hashtags in a certain area. It can also give valuable statistics on your followers, who are they following, what hashtags are they using and what posts are they retweeting.
Trendsmap allows you to view trending hashtags on an interactive map of the world to show that certain hashtags would perform better in some countries rather than others. It gives you data on the most popular users and keyword in certain areas of the world.
Trendsmap clearly visualises your most relevant Twitter activity by tracking and mapping the most popular trends.
TweetDeck gives you the tools to better organise your Twitter profiles. It does so by dividing them into different columns that can be then filtered by keyword, location, specific users and level of engagement. It allows you to monitor and schedule your Twitter posts. TweetDeck takes away the long and tedious job of searching for certain target audiences or keywords on different profiles by grouping them all onto the one page so it is easier to view.
The Importance of Analytic Tools for Your Twitter Profile
- Improves social media marketing campaigns as you know what your target audience is looking for.
- Increase engagement as you will know when are the right times to post to target specific groups.
- ROI will improve as you will no longer waste time guessing what your followers want.
- Helps to identify the best hashtags and keywords to use.
These are some of the best free Twitter analytics tools out there, which give the most helpful information and make it easier for Twitter users to track the analytics to see what impact their Twitter postings are having on a global basis.
Using these tools help Twitter users to know their reach, how many followers they have, where they are physically located, and what is the overall impact of their tweets.