Twitter Dimensions: Images are a key part of engaging audiences on Twitter. Tweets with images see higher click-through rates and retweets compared to plain text posts. To ensure your visuals look crisp across platforms and devices, following Twitter’s guidelines for image dimensions and aspect ratios is important. The right sizes and orientations allow images to be displayed natively without unwanted cropping or distortion.
This guide will cover the ideal specifications for elements like header photos, in-stream images and videos, website card graphics, and promoted tweets. Whether you’re designing natively for Twitter or adapting graphics from other platforms, these size best practices help your visuals look their best. We’ll summarize Twitter’s specifications in a handy chart, plus provide image creation and editing tips for custom graphics that pop. By purposefully crafting visual assets for Twitter, you can effectively reinforce branding, complement text-based posts, and boost engagement.
The attention spans of viewers are getting shorter. But remember the good old saying, “A photo is worth a thousand words?” Luckily, this still applies today. The twentieth century witnessed the emergence of colour movies. Ever since then, people have been so busy with improving our human visual experience. We have come a long way since then, yet our adoration for visuals has not decreased. The almost instant and growing popularity of visual platforms like Pinterest, Instagram and Snapchat is proof of that claim. Other digital platforms which are less image-oriented also encourage sharing images.
Image dimensions are often overlooked when sharing photos online, which may affect the efficiency of your social media strategy. In the next paragraphs, we will explain Twitter’s dimensions in detail. What do image dimensions mean? What are the ideal image sizes for different photos you share on Twitter? And why do they matter? Let’s dive into it.
Table of Contents
What “Image Dimensions” Mean?
“Image dimensions are the length and width of a digital image. It is usually measured in pixels.” Now, this also relates to resolution. “Resolution refers to the number of pixels in an image. Resolution is sometimes identified by the width and height of the image as well as the total number of pixels in the image.” As the megapixels increase, the size of an image increases as well. Every platform on social media has certain image dimensions that the website supports.
You must remember these dimensions to maintain a perfect appearance on your business profiles on any channel. While choosing profile photos, cover/header photos, or photos you share in separate posts, you must pick suitable pictures based on the supported dimensions.
Do Twitter Dimensions Matter?
The question is: How do you want your business profile on Twitter to look like? Do you want to make it look professional, inviting, or poor and appalling? If the answer is professional and inviting, then Twitter dimensions matter. Your audience does not want to watch fuzzy or cut-off images.
When you choose a large image somewhere, it does not belong; it gets cut off, losing important parts of your image. That affects the quality of the overall look. Similarly, when a small image is selected for a place meant for bigger pictures, it becomes blurry and distorted—a huge no. Therefore, Twitter dimensions matter because knowing which images to select and where to put them is a part of controlling how your business looks like on Twitter.
Ideal Twitter Dimensions for Images:
Anyone who frequently uses the tweeting Blue Bird knows there are different kinds of photos you can share on the platform. Every type of image has specific dimensions that you should be aware of while selecting photos to share.
Avatar (Profile Picture)
Your avatar is the image most frequently associated with your brand on Twitter. Your avatar, or profile picture, will be visible on your Twitter page, stream timeline, and the “who-to-follow” section. Whenever visitors check out your Twitter profile, they will immediately see your profile picture right next to your name.
In addition, a smaller version of your avatar will appear beside every tweet on your page. Similarly, the same small version of your avatar will appear beside your tweets on your followers’ timeline. This is how your followers will most likely recognize your business on the timeline—finally, the “who-to-follow” box is located directly to the right of your Twitter stream.
Twitter Dimensions for Your Avatar:
- Use a square image that is ideally 400 x 400 pixels.
- Maximum file size 2 MB.
- Image types include JPG, GIF or PNG.
Header Image (Cover Picture)
“Header” is Twitter’s version of a cover photo. However, your header will only appear in one place, which is your profile. It is still quite important because it appears at the very top of your profile, and it is much larger than an avatar. You have a larger space to display something unique to your audience. Therefore, make sure to choose the highest-quality images for your header.
Twitter Dimensions for Your Header:
- Recommended 1,500 x 500 pixels.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB.
- Image types include JPG, GIF or PNG.
- Provide suggested header templates in Canva, etc., sized for 1500×500.
- Note the header image appears cropped on mobile; I recommend emphasizing the left side.
- Size: 1024×512 pixels is optimal for native in-stream display.
- Landscape images with a 1.91:1 to 2:1 aspect ratio fit the stream best.
- Provide examples of image tweets with oriented images sized around 1024×512.
- Max file size: 5MB
- Dimensions: 800×450 pixels recommended for ideal stream fit.
- Note square 1:1 GIFs display small, suggesting a wide 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Size: 800×418 pixels fits native promoted tweet layouts.
- Include examples of promoted tweets-specific image sizes and templates.
A Single Image in a Tweet
Twitter may be a little more famous for being a social platform for expressing opinions through short messages. However, the website now encourages sharing images in tweets. It is worth mentioning that any image you share in a tweet will be “scaled to 506 pixels wide, and the height will be adjusted accordingly but to a maximum of 506 pixels.” This matters because you do not want your image to be cropped out funnily on the timeline.
- Minimum to appear expanded 440 x 220 pixels (a 2:1 ratio).
- Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Appears in the stream collapsed at 506 x 253 pixels on the desktop.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB for photos, 5 MB for animated GIFs on mobile and 15 MB for web.
Multiple Images in a Tweet
Twitter has this nice feature of adding up to four images in a single tweet. Of course, that has different image dimensions than a single image in a tweet. Similarly, your images will be scaled down when they appear on the timeline. “The images used to be displayed as four equal horizontal rectangles, but now, they are cropped into squares, and the first image you upload will appear bigger.”
Twitter Dimensions for Multiple Images in a Tweet:
- Two images: Scaled to 252 pixels tall and cropped to 252 pixels wide
- Three images: Scaled to 337 pixels tall and cropped to 337 pixels wide
- Four images: Scaled to 379 pixels tall and cropped to 379 pixels wide
Twitter cards are the regular tweets with an extra topping. In addition to the 280 characters Twitter offers, you can add links, pictures, or videos. There are four different types of Twitter cards. Our main focus here is that the four types of these cards include images.
Twitter Dimensions for Twitter Cards:
The recommended image size by Twitter is 800 x 418 pixels for a 1.91:1 aspect ratio.
In a Nutshell
If you think this is a lot of details, or maybe you got confused adjusting your images, there is a brief solution. Social media gurus have created –almost- perfect photo templates that work for different social media platforms. According to Buffer, here are two–one size fits all- photo templates:
- 1,024 x 512 for horizontal images.
- 800 x 1,200 for vertical images.
Unveiling Twitter’s Visual Canvas:
Twitter’s visual landscape is characterized by predefined dimensions that govern the size and aspect ratio of images, videos, and GIFs. These dimensions are pivotal in ensuring visual content is displayed correctly and effectively across various devices, from smartphones and tablets to desktops and laptops. Understanding these dimensions is essential for crafting visually captivating tweets that achieve their intended purpose.
Decoding Twitter’s Image Dimensions:
The world of image dimensions lies at the heart of Twitter’s visual landscape. The ideal image dimensions for Twitter vary depending on the type of tweet:
- Single Image: The recommended dimensions for a single image tweet are 1200×675 pixels, with a minimum width of 440 pixels and a maximum width of 1024 pixels. This ensures the image appears clear and visually appealing across various screen sizes.
- Multiple Image Tweet: For a multiple image tweet, each image should have a minimum width of 320 pixels and a maximum width of 1024 pixels. The height of each image can vary, but it is recommended to maintain a consistent aspect ratio for a cohesive visual presentation.
- Profile Picture: Your profile picture should be square, with a recommended dimension of 400×400 pixels. This ensures that your profile image appears sharp and professional across all devices.
Harnessing the Power of Video Dimensions:
Videos have become integral to Twitter’s dynamic ecosystem, engaging audiences with their captivating storytelling and dynamic visuals. To ensure that your videos are displayed optimally, adhere to the following dimensions:
- Landscape Videos: Landscape videos, which are wider than they are tall, should have a minimum width of 640 pixels and a maximum width of 1280 pixels. The recommended aspect ratio is 16:9.
- Portrait Videos: Portrait videos, which are taller than they are wide, should have a minimum width of 320 pixels and a maximum width of 640 pixels. The recommended aspect ratio is 9:16.
Utilizing GIFs for Visual Impact:
GIFs, those short, looping animations, have become a popular way to add a touch of visual intrigue to Twitter conversations. To ensure your GIFs are displayed smoothly and effectively, follow these guidelines:
- GIF Dimensions: GIFs should have a minimum width of 100 pixels and a maximum width of 504 pixels. The recommended aspect ratio is 16:9.
- GIF File Size: GIFs should not exceed 5MB in size to ensure smooth playback.
Enhancing Engagement with Visual Storytelling:
Twitter dimensions are not merely technical specifications but powerful tools for crafting visually compelling narratives that capture attention and drive engagement. Here are some tips for maximizing visual storytelling on Twitter:
- Use High-Quality Images: Employ high-resolution, clear, vibrant, and visually appealing images.
- Leverage Storytelling Techniques: Use storytelling techniques like sequence shots and close-ups to effectively engage viewers and convey a message.
- Capture Emotions with Visuals: Evoke emotions through colour, lighting, and composition.
Image Sizes for Other Social Platforms
In addition to Twitter, it helps to optimize images for key dimensions on other popular social platforms:
- Shared Link Image: 1200×630 pixels
- Shared Photo Post: 2048×2048 pixels
- Square Photo: 1080×1080 pixels
- Landscape/Portrait: 1080 pixels on long edge
YouTube Channel Art:
- Desktop: 2560×1440 pixels
- Mobile: 1280×720 pixels
- 1280×720 pixels
- Vertical Pin: 1000×1500 pixels
- Horizontal Pin: 2000×1000 pixels
Creating images like banners, thumbnails, and ads sized for each platform ensures they will look crisp and undistorted when viewed natively. Consider crafting social-specific templates and asset sizes.
Image editing and design tips for creating custom graphics and templates for Twitter:
- Use brand colours, fonts, and logos to maintain visual consistency.
- Create templates with the ideal dimensions for profile headers, in-stream posts, and ads.
- Use high-resolution images (2x the output size) so they stay crisp when uploaded.
- Include margins in templates so text and logos aren’t cut off when crops happen.
- Add overlay text and graphic elements focused on the left third since the right side may be clipped.
- Use visual hierarchies, contrasts, and empty spaces for visual interest.
- Optimize and compress final graphics to keep file sizes small for quick loading.
- Use Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator or other design tools to craft custom Twitter visuals.
- Include engaging text and calls to action for promotional graphics and ads.
- Check the visual appeal and quality of images on both desktop and mobile.
- Use video editing tools to create natively-sized short video clips.
Latest Twitter image and video specifications I could find as of February 2023:
- The header image’s maximum size is still 1500×500 pixels.
- In-stream photo max size remains 1024×512 pixels
- In-stream landscape video specs unchanged at 1280×720 pixels
- Twitter still recommends 1200×675 pixels for in-stream landscape videos
- Max file size for videos remains 512MB
- Max GIF size is still capped at 5MB
- JPG, PNG, WEBP and HEIF image formats supported
- Website card size unchanged at 800×418 pixels
- The promoted tweet image size is still 800×418 pixels.
I checked Twitter’s developer documentation, help centre, blog, and recent tweets from @TwitterSupport for any updates. As far as I can tell, Twitter has not changed their recommended image and video sizes and formats in recent months. The existing specifications still appear current and supported.
Twitter Dimensions FAQs
Q: What is the optimal size for a Twitter header image?
A: The ideal size is 1500 x 500 pixels with a wide landscape orientation.
Q: What should the aspect ratio be for in-stream photos?
A: Aim for landscape images sized around 1024×512 pixels with a 2:1 aspect ratio.
Q: Is there a maximum file size for images on Twitter?
A: Twitter supports JPG, PNG, and other image files up to 5MB.
Twitter Dimensions Conclusion:
Optimizing Twitter images using the platform’s recommended dimensions and aspect ratios ensures your visuals look their best. Landscape-oriented headers, photos, GIFs, and ads tend to fit Twitter’s stream and feeds most attractively. Crafting custom graphics and templates sized for the various Twitter elements allows you to showcase your brand effectively.
Combined with compelling visual design and high-resolution source images, images created purposefully for Twitter can capture attention and drive engagement. You can make your Tweets more visually engaging by following the latest size specifications provided here.
Twitter dimensions serve as a roadmap to navigating the platform’s visual landscape, empowering users to create visually appealing and impactful tweets that resonate with their target audience.
By understanding and applying these dimensions, individuals, businesses, and organizations can harness the power of Twitter to connect, engage, and achieve their communication goals.