To develop an online business, it’s important to know how to add an online store to your WIX site. You may want to add a store to your website after it has been set up for a range of reasons.
In this article, we’ll show you how.
For example, a trend in 2018 for Youtube content creators was to set up their own clothing range focusing on their identity on YouTube. This was used as an additional way to monetise their audience.
Some of the biggest names such as PewDiePie, Jake Paul, Markiplier, Dodie and many others have their very own clothing range as a result of being able to add an online store to their websites.
Therefore, following this trend, it could be essential to add a store to your website even after the site is already established.if ecommerce is not your primary revenue stream.
Let’s explore how to add an online store to your WIX site.
Table of Contents
Welcome to Your Wix Online Store Journey
A. Effortlessly Add an Online Store to Your Wix Site:
Imagine seamlessly transforming your Wix website from a static showcase into a dynamic hub for selling your products or services. With Wix Stores, integrating an online store is just a few clicks away. No need for coding or web design expertise – Wix’s intuitive interface and powerful tools guide you every step of the way.
Here’s what awaits:
- Drag-and-drop simplicity: Arrange products, customize layouts, and personalize your store’s look and feel without touching a line of code.
- Built-in features and apps: From product management and payment processing to marketing tools and analytics, Wix Stores has everything you need to run a successful online business.
- Scalable solutions: Whether you’re just starting or scaling up, Wix offers flexible plans and features to accommodate your growth ambitions.
B. Sell on Your Own Terms: The Wix Advantage:
Forget costly fees and limited customization of third-party platforms. Selling directly through your Wix site offers several key benefits:
- Full control: You own the customer experience, brand your store the way you want, and retain valuable customer data.
- Boosted profits: Say goodbye to hefty commission fees and keep more of your hard-earned revenue.
- Seamless integration: Your online store becomes an extension of your existing Wix website, creating a cohesive brand experience for customers.
Ready to unlock the potential of Wix Stores and transform your website into a thriving online business? Let’s dive in!
II. Getting Started on Wix Stores: Your Launchpad to Success
A. Step One: Choose the Right Plan for Your Vision:
Wix offers various business plans with built-in eCommerce functionalities. Consider your current needs and future goals when making your choice:
- Basic Business: Ideal for starting small, with limited product options and essential features.
- Business Unlimited: Perfect for growing businesses, offering more products, storage, and marketing tools.
- Business VIP: For high-volume stores, with advanced features like abandoned cart recovery and loyalty programs.
B. Find Your Perfect Template: A Foundation for Success:
Wix Stores provides a diverse selection of pre-designed templates specifically optimized for e-commerce. Choose one that aligns with your brand identity and product type, saving valuable time and effort:
- Minimalist: Clean and elegant layouts ideal for showcasing high-end products.
- Modern: Bold and eye-catching designs perfect for trendy brands.
- Vintage: Charm and character for shops offering unique or handmade goods.
C. Make it Your Own: Design and Branding with Wix Magic:
Wix empowers you to personalize your online store with ease. Customize every element, from colors and fonts to product layouts and banners:
- Drag-and-drop design: Rearrange elements, experiment with layouts, and create a unique look for your brand.
- Built-in image editor: Enhance product photos, add graphics, and personalize your visuals without leaving Wix.
- Brand kit integration: Upload your logo, define your color palette, and ensure consistency across your entire website.
How to Add an Online Store to Your WIX Site
Adding a store to an existing WIX site is very easy. As with all WIX functions, adding a site requires very little technical knowledge or expertise. This is why WIX is one of the most used web builders in the world for amateurs.
The first step to adding a WIX store to your site is to go to the apps element on the left hand side of your admin dashboard. There are between four and eight elements here and the apps element is the circle with four squares within it.
Once you click on the element, a new window will show, showing a range of apps including the likes of WIX forms and WIX chat. In the search bar, search for the store and the first app shown in the list would be WIX stores.
Beside the app you’ll see a button reading ‘Add to Site’. Click this button and a new page will be created in your site. A new element will also appear in the left hand side.
How to Use the Online Store in WIX
Whenever the store has been added, you will see that WIX has inserted examples of products into the store. You have full control of the design and the products of the store.
Within the new ‘My Store’ element there are five more elements.
There is the store manager element which allows a user to manage their entire store. You can also add a new product to your store from here.
Another element within My Store is the Store pages. Here you can edit the design of the different pages of your store by adding different elements such as store elements that best suit your site.
The last elements include ‘Add Store Elements’, ‘Learn More’ and an option to upgrade to accept payments. Whenever you have set up your site and store, you would need to upgrade your WIX plan to start accepting payments online once your site is published.
Some of the accepted payment methods include Visa, Mastercard and American Express. The upgraded plan is very much a premium plan and comes with a range of benefits.
How to Add a New Item to the Store
One of the most important aspects of an online store is to sell products.
There are many ways to manage products in the store. One of the best ways to add a product is to go to Manage Products when on the element within the editor. This is the method shown in the video.
In the window that is shown, in the top right there is a button which says New Product. When adding a new product, WIX will then ask if the product is a physical or digital product as each type of product has a different setup.
Most people will choose Physical Product. When clicked on, a new window will show. Within this window you’re able to add the name, images of the product, information of the product such as the price and description.
Once the product is complete, click save. When done you will see the new product within the list of store products.
- Select New Product,
- Hit Physical/Digital Product,
- Click Product Information,
- Press Save.
Editing the Items Page
Whenever you have added a shop to the site, you will see the cart and items pages. It is essential to edit these pages to your site’s theme. This makes the site look more professional and it makes the buyer of products feel more comfortable using your site to buy products.
To edit the items page, head to the ‘My Store’ element and then store pages. Click on the items/products page. This will make the items page appear. Then click settings and then customise page.
Use the following steps:
- Go to My Store,
- Choose Product Page,
- Click Settings,
- Select Customise Page.
From here, the user can edit the layout of the items page, change the colour and fonts used, to make it consistent with the rest of your site.
Setting Up Your Store Inventory: Crafting Your Digital Shelves
It’s time to populate your online store with the delightful products or services you’re eager to offer. Wix Stores provides a user-friendly interface to manage your inventory with precision and ease.
A. Filling Your Virtual Storefront:
- Manual Addition: For smaller inventories, add products one by one with comprehensive details:
- Product name and description
- High-quality images and videos
- Pricing (with options for discounts or sales)
- Inventory count (track available stock levels)
- Variant data (sizes, colors, styles, etc.)
- CSV Import: Streamline the process for large inventories by importing product data in bulk using a CSV file. Ensure proper formatting and mapping of fields for seamless integration.
B. Organizing for Easy Navigation:
- Categories and Collections: Guide customers through your store with clear categorization.
- Categories: Create a logical structure based on product types or features (e.g., Clothing > Tops > T-Shirts).
- Collections: Curated groupings for promotions, themes, or new arrivals (e.g., Summer Collection, Sale Items).
Configuring the Shopping Experience: Smooth Sailing from Browse to Checkout
Every detail of your shoppers’ journey matters. Wix Stores empowers you to tailor the experience for maximum convenience and satisfaction.
A. Effortless Checkout, Happy Customers:
- Checkout Process: Design a clear and intuitive checkout flow:
- Guest checkout or account creation options
- Secure payment and shipping information collection
- Order confirmation and tracking details
- Cart Flows: Optimize for conversions:
- Upselling and cross-selling suggestions to boost average order value.
- Abandoned cart recovery emails to recapture lost sales.
- Shipping Matrix: Define shipping rates and options based on:
- Product dimensions and weights
- Shipping zones and carriers
- Delivery speeds and costs
B. Secure and Seamless Payments:
- Payment Gateway Integration: Connect your store to trusted payment providers like Stripe, PayPal, or Wix Payments:
- Accept major credit cards, debit cards, and digital wallets.
- Ensure secure payment processing and PCI compliance.
- Merchant Account Setup: If required by your payment provider, set up a merchant account to receive funds from online transactions.
C. Staying on Top of Business Essentials:
- Taxes: Configure tax settings based on your location and applicable tax laws.
- Inventory Tracking: Stay informed of stock levels to prevent overselling and manage inventory efficiently.
- Reporting and Analytics: Track sales, customer behavior, and key performance indicators to make informed decisions and optimize your store’s performance.
Wix Stores provides the tools to create a seamless shopping experience that delights customers and drives sales. Remember to tailor these settings to your specific business needs and customer expectations.
Adding a WIX Store: Tips and Tricks
Depending on your website you may want users of the site to be able click to get to the shop. This is done mainly on sites that don’t offer too many products such as the example site we used.
To do this create a new shop page and place the store page as a hidden secondary page. Link a button to the store page from the shop page, just like in the example video.
Another tip would be, always add a SKU code to every product. By having a SKU code it can help you understand stock levels a lot easier and it also makes it easier for the customer to reference certain products.
For example a SKU code of ‘CHAIR127890‘ could mean a type of chair and it makes it easy to identify the type of product. This would be the same for ‘TABLE127890‘.
Promoting and Selling Your Store: From Visibility to Conversions
Building a beautiful online store is just the first step. Now, it’s time to spread the word and watch your sales soar! Wix offers a diverse arsenal of tools to promote your store and attract customers.
A. SEO Optimization: Rise Above the Noise:
- Product Content is King: Optimize product titles, descriptions, and tags with relevant keywords to rank higher in search engine results.
- Image Optimization: Use descriptive file names and alt tags for product images to improve image search visibility.
- Wix SEO Wiz: Leverage Wix’s built-in SEO tool for personalized recommendations and action steps to improve your store’s search engine ranking.
B. Email Marketing: Connect and Convert:
- Build an Email List: Offer compelling incentives like discounts or exclusive content to entice customers to subscribe.
- Targeted Email Campaigns: Segment your audience and send personalized campaigns showcasing relevant products, promotions, and news.
- Automate and Schedule: Utilize Wix’s email automation tools to streamline your marketing efforts and trigger personalized emails based on specific customer actions.
C. Social Promotion: The Power of the Network:
- Share your Products: Leverage the reach of social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok to showcase your products and engage with potential customers.
- Run Social Media Ads: Target specific demographics and interests with paid social media advertising campaigns to reach a wider audience.
- Wix Social Boost: Boost your social media posts directly from Wix to amplify your reach and drive traffic to your store.
D. Advertising on Wix: Target with Precision:
- Wix Promote: Advertise your store within the Wix ecosystem to reach millions of potential customers browsing other Wix websites.
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Campaigns: Define your target audience and budget to run targeted ads on various search engines and social media platforms.
- Track and Analyze: Monitor the performance of your advertising campaigns and adjust your strategies for optimal results.
Analyzing Ecommerce Analytics: Insights to Fuel Growth
Data is your best friend in the world of e-commerce. Wix provides comprehensive analytics to help you understand your store’s performance and identify areas for improvement.
A. Monitoring the Pulse of Your Store:
- Sales Performance: Track key metrics like total sales, revenue per order, and conversion rates to measure your overall success.
- Traffic Reports: Analyze website traffic sources, popular pages, and customer behavior to understand how people find and interact with your store.
- Top Products and Categories: Identify which products and categories perform best to adjust your inventory and marketing strategies accordingly.
B. Optimizing for Continuous Growth:
- A/B Testing: Experiment with different versions of your product pages, layouts, and calls to action to see what resonates best with your audience.
- Identify Sales Funnel Bottlenecks: Analyze where customers drop off in the checkout process and implement solutions to improve conversion rates.
- Stay Informed with Wix Insights: Get personalized recommendations and actionable insights based on your store’s data to optimize your efforts.
C. Real-time Order Alerts: Stay in the Loop:
- Never Miss a Sale: Set up instant notifications for new orders through email, SMS, or mobile app to stay updated and respond promptly to customer needs.
- Manage Orders Efficiently: Use the Wix dashboard to track order status, fulfill orders, and communicate with customers seamlessly.
FAQ: Unlocking Your Wix Online Store Potential
Q: Which Wix plan is best for my online store?
A: It depends on your needs! Consider your product volume, features needed, and future growth potential. For beginners, Basic Business is a good start, while established businesses might prefer Business Unlimited or VIP for advanced features.
Q: How can I ensure my products rank high in search results?
A: Implement SEO best practices! Optimize product titles, descriptions, and images with relevant keywords. Use Wix SEO Wiz for personalized recommendations, and build backlinks by promoting your store on social media and other platforms.
Q: What’s the best way to reach new customers?
A: A multi-pronged approach works best! Utilize email marketing, social media promotion, and Wix advertising options like Wix Promote and PPC campaigns. Leverage the power of analytics to identify effective channels and target the right audience.
Q: Can I set up automated emails for my store?
A: Absolutely! Wix’s email automation tools allow you to send personalized emails based on customer actions, like abandoned cart recovery or welcome messages for new subscribers.
Q: How can I stay informed about new orders and store performance?
A: Set up real-time order alerts via email, SMS, or mobile app to stay in the loop. Wix Insights also provides personalized recommendations and actionable data to optimize your store’s performance.
Remember, running a successful online store is a continuous process of learning and adapting. Keep exploring new features, analyzing data, and refining your strategies to stay ahead of the curve and thrive with your Wix store.
Conclusion: From Vision to Thriving Ecommerce Empire
Building a beautiful and functional online store with Wix empowers you to transform your vision into a profitable reality. This comprehensive guide provided a blueprint for navigating every step of the journey, from setting up your inventory to mastering promotion and analyzing performance.