In the ever-changing realm of social media marketing, Instagram Stories have emerged as an indispensable tool for businesses seeking to establish a meaningful connection with their customers. While Instagram offers a plethora of content creation avenues, from feed posts to reels and live streams, Stories stand out as a unique and engaging platform that empowers businesses with choice in their content creation.
The fleeting nature of Stories (as they disappear after 24 hours) adds an element of urgency and encourages audience interaction. This aspect further enhances the platform’s ability to capture attention through short form content and spark meaningful connections.
In this blog, we’ll delve into practical tips and tricks for businesses aiming to effectively utilise Instagram Stories as a cornerstone of their social media marketing strategy. We’ll explore how to craft compelling Instagram stories, harness interactive features, and measure the impact of your Story campaigns to achieve tangible results.
Table of Contents
Instagram Stories: Content Tips and Tricks
Tapping the “+” icon (In front of your profile image) in the top left corner opens endless possibilities for you to start creating Instagram Stories… But, what type of content within stories performs well? Let’s consider the options.
Instagram stories can contain images, videos, polls, quizzes… The list is extensive, with the option to either capture your content directly from the stories creator in real time or to upload content already captured on your phone.
Let’s consider our top tips for Instagram Story content creation.
1. Use consistent themes or colour palettes
Establish a visual identity for your Stories by using a consistent theme, colour palette, or style throughout your content. This will make your Stories more recognizable and memorable for your followers and poses opportunity for businesses to communicate their branding style and aesthetics.
2. Keep your Stories concise and to the point
As we are all aware, attention spans are increasingly short on social media, so make sure your Stories are quick and engaging. Aim for Instagram Stories that are 10-15 seconds long using strong visuals and text to convey your message effectively.
3. Incorporate a variety of content formats
Don’t just use photos and videos. There are a wealth of opportunities available to you within the platform. Mix up your Stories with different formats, such as polls, quizzes, questions, Boomerangs, and GIFs. This will keep your Stories fun, fresh and engaging for your audience.
4. Use interactive stickers mindfully
Instagram Stories offer a variety of interactive stickers that can encourage engagement with your followers. Use polls to ask questions, quizzes to test their knowledge, and location stickers to show your followers where you are but do so thoughtfully. Adding too many bells and whistles onto your content can make it seem unprofessional.
5. Run contests and giveaways
Contests and giveaways are a great chance for businesses to generate engagement and some excitement on your Stories. Offer your followers a chance to win prizes by asking them to follow you, comment on your Instagram stories, or tag their friends in the comments. This also pushes your brand to new, potential customers.
6. Showcase behind-the-scenes content
Give your followers a glimpse into the dynamics and working of your business/brand by sharing behind-the-scenes content. This could include photos and videos of your team working, your products in production, or your office environment. This fosters excellent business culture and engages your customer in your business dynamics.
7. Sharing customer testimonials
Build trust and credibility by sharing positive customer testimonials on your Instagram Stories. This will show your potential customers that your products or services are worth the investment and gives you an opportunity to mention your customers building a connection with them.
8. Respond to comments and questions
Use your stories to respond to your customer comments and questions. This shows that you value their feedback and are interested in building relationships with them.
9. Use polls and quizzes to gather feedback
Use polls and quizzes to gather feedback from your followers/customers about your products, services, or branding. This information can be really valuable in helping you to improve what your business currently offers and also meet the needs of your audience.
10. Tracking and analysing your Instagram stories performance
Use Instagram Insights to track and analyse the performance of your Stories. These analytics will help you identify which types of content are resonating with your audience and make adjustments to your strategy accordingly. It will also help you to optimise your content effectively, making informed decisions about what works and what doesn’t.
Why track and measure your Instagram stories performance
You can gain access to your Instagram Stories insights once you have either a business or creator account. With a personal account you can see who has viewed your story but you cannot access additional information such as replies, exits, link clicks, forwards, and more.
These insights are especially beneficial to give you an understanding of what content works and what might need to be adapted. Use your insights to consider what type of content performs better on your Instagram grid juxtaposed with Instagram stories.
Some reasons to post on your Instagram story opposed to your feed include:
- The ability to include clickable links in Instagram stories juxtaposed with posts where links are not clickable. Clickable links drive traffic directly to your website which can increase sales therefore they are essential to add to your content.
- Running contests and giveaways have the ability to drive excitement for your brand.
Instagram Story Ideas
- Share photos and videos of your team working behind the scenes
- Give viewers a glimpse of your office space, production facilities, or retail locations.
- Show off your sustainable, green initiatives.
Product demos and tutorials
- Walk viewers through how to use your products or services.
- Create step-by-step tutorials for common tasks or problems.
- Share videos of customer testimonials and reviews.
- Feature customers who have used your products or services in creative or unique ways.
- Share interviews with satisfied customers about their experiences.
- Host contests or giveaways to encourage customer participation.
Interactive quizzes and polls
- Ask viewers questions about your products, services, or industry trends.
- Create polls to gauge customer preferences or gather feedback.
- Use interactive stickers to engage your audience and collect data.
Giveaways and promotions
- Host contests or giveaways to generate buzz and attract new followers.
- Offer discounts or coupons to encourage sales and customer loyalty.
- Promote special events or promotions with eye-catching graphics and videos.
Highlight employee appreciation and milestones
- Celebrate employee birthdays, promotions, or anniversaries.
- Share stories about employees who go above and beyond for customers.
- Showcase your company culture and values by highlighting employee initiatives and events.
Host live Q&A sessions with experts
- Invite industry experts to share their insights on relevant topics.
- Host live product demonstrations or training sessions.
- Create a sense of community and foster engagement by interacting with viewers in real time.
Instagram Stories Conclusion
In conclusion, Instagram Stories offer a powerful and versatile platform for small businesses to connect with their audience, build relationships, and drive growth.
By embracing the potential of Instagram Stories, businesses you can capture the attention of customers and potential customers, spark engagement, and foster a sense of intimacy with followers. Whether you choose to share behind-the-scenes glimpses, host interactive polls, or showcase customer testimonials, Instagram Stories provide a dynamic and engaging avenue for your business to connect with your target audience.
As you explore the use of Instagram Stories for your business, remember to be creative, consistent, and measure your results. Utilise the platform’s fun and interactive features, experiment with different formats, and tailor your content to resonate with your specific audience.
With time, dedication and a little bit of creativity, Instagram Stories can become an invaluable tool for your small business, helping you establish a strong online presence, nurture customer connections, and achieve your business goals. Let us know your opinions in the comments.