As we delve further into the digital age, the importance of understanding social media facts has become increasingly apparent for business owners and marketers. The rapid nature of the social media landscape means that trends are constantly changing due to user behaviour and social media updates. Keeping up with the latest social media facts ensures that your digital strategy is relevant, clear, and will generate sales and conversions.
Social media facts offer invaluable insights into user behaviour, trends, demographics, and many more. This information is significant for businesses and marketers to monitor as it can offer new insights regarding how their customers react to their content and identify ways to improve their strategy.
A Deep Dive Into Social Media Facts
In this blog, we’ll take you through some fascinating social media facts that every marketer should know to perfect their digital marketing strategy. By reviewing social media facts, you will gain a better understanding of the digital marketing landscape and how to implement these facts into your marketing strategy.
The Power of Social Media
Social media has proven to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to retaining user attention and encouraging consumers to follow and interact with brands. Due to the interactivity of social media, users are more connected than ever before with other customers and brands. In this way, online customers have significant authority when it comes to voicing their thoughts and opinions on a brand’s products and services.
Social Media Facts You Need To Know
So, what are some of the most significant social media facts you need to know to perfect your digital strategy? Let’s take a look at the following social media facts that reflect the current digital marketing landscape:
- Over 4 billion people use social media in the world.
- Users can spend on average 2.5 hours per day on social media. That’s 17.5 hours per week!
- In terms of demographics, females aged 18-24 years old utilise social media the most.
- Approximately 99% of social media users access platforms using a mobile device.
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform in the world.
- Short forms of video content are the most engaging type of content for social media users.
- Users have admitted to purchasing products from a business as a result of seeing a social media ad.
- Approximately 90% of social media users follow at least one brand account.
Social Media Facts: The Number of Users
So, what do these social media facts tell us about the digital marketing landscape? Firstly, it is clear that people are relying more and more on social media as a source of entertainment and information about brands and products. Due to the extensive screen time that is spent on social media, businesses and marketers can leverage this opportunity to ensure that their content creation and online presence attract the correct target audience and generates conversions.
Social Media Facts: Accessibility
When considering the accessibility of social media, it’s important to evaluate how your content performs on mobile devices. As 99% of social media users access platforms using a mobile device, it’s important to create content that is mobile-friendly and enhances the user experience. For example, when creating video content, consider utilising content filmed in portrait mode as this will align with the format of content that users typically view on platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.
Social Media Facts: The Reign of Facebook
Since Facebook is the most popular social media platform in the world, consider identifying who your target audience is and how they engage with online content. For example, if you have an e-commerce website and sell products, Facebook Shop is a fantastic tool to use to drive traffic to your website and generate sales. Therefore, Facebook is an amazing platform to reach a global audience and increase sales and conversions.
Social Media Facts: Video Content
Another important social media fact is that short forms of video content are the most engaging type of content on social media. But why is this? Let’s say, for example, you’re scrolling through your social media feed which includes solely images. Unless the image is eye-catching and engaging, you might find that you barely take the time to stop and pay attention to an image for longer than a second! This is because once we have seen an image for a few milliseconds, the information that we need to know is already transmitted to the brain. Therefore, we can quickly recognise what is being displayed and judge whether we want to engage with an image even further.
However, when it comes to video content, the nature of moving images means that we are not as quick to understand the information being presented as we are with still images. This means that once a social media user comes across a video that may interest them, they have to watch the video content further to fully understand the content. Therefore, short forms of video content are excellent at capturing and holding the user’s attention while increasing the chances of the content being rewatched by the user.
Social Media Facts: Social Media Advertising
Social media advertising presents the opportunity to target your desired audience and increase your brand awareness. Based on this social media fact, it is clear that social media advertising plays a huge role when it comes to influencing consumer behaviour. When developing your digital strategy, consider utilising social media advertising as this will support your organic content creation while ensuring that you are reaching new and existing customers.
Social Media Facts: Brand Information
Another amazing social media fact is that almost 90% of social media users follow at least one brand account. This is an amazing statistic for businesses and marketers as it indicates the power of social media as an outlet to build an online community and users’ desire to remain connected with brand updates, promotions, and products.
When considering the best social media platforms to market your business, ask yourself the following questions:
- Who is my target audience?
- What platforms is my target audience currently using?
- What type of content will best communicate my brand messaging and attract my target audience?
- What do I hope to achieve as a result of producing social media content?
- Can I utilise paid advertising to reach my target audience?
Once you have outlined your answers to the above questions, you can have a clear vision of what you want to achieve using social media platforms and therefore have more confidence in achieving your goals.
So, now that we know some of the most important social media facts to consider when developing a digital strategy, let’s take a look at some of the most popular social media platforms that can take your business to the next level.
How To Utilise Facebook
Facebook is a fantastic social media platform to leverage a large number of online users and experiment with what type of content engages users the most.
Here are some recommendations when marketing your business on Facebook:
- Utilise your About section: Facebook uses the About section on business pages as a resource to fully understand what a business offers in order to make the correct recommendations for the user. To maximise the benefits of the About section, ensure to include as many keywords as possible that describe your business, products, and services. This will help improve the SEO of your page and therefore your visibility when users search for your services.
- Experiment with different video lengths: When creating video content for Facebook, ensure to experiment with different video lengths to understand how your target audience reacts to your content. For example, try creating short forms of video content demonstrating your products and services and also 5-minute long videos that take the user through a more in-depth demonstration. By doing this, you can understand how your audience engages with your content and adapt your strategy accordingly.
- Set up Facebook Shop: If you have an e-commerce website to sell your products, consider setting up Facebook Shop as this will allow you to tag products and direct users to product pages to increase sales.
How To Utilise Instagram
Instagram has continued to grow its user base through its entertaining and engaging features which allow users to create content and consume content that aligns with their interests.
Here are some recommendations when marketing your business on Instagram:
- Create Instagram Reels: From the social media facts outlined in this blog, it is clear that short forms of video content are incredibly effective at holding user attention and influencing consumer behaviour. Instagram Reels present the perfect opportunity to promote your products and services in an engaging and entertaining way.
- Instagram Stories: Instagram Stories are the perfect opportunity to showcase your products and services as well as the behind-the-scenes of your business. Social media users utilise Stories to receive short snippets of content and Instagram will present the user with Stories from accounts that they interact with the most. Therefore, Stories are a great way to promote your business even further!
- Instagram Ads: Utilising Instagram ads is a great way to target your customers based on their age, gender, and interests. Instagram ads as well as Facebook ads allow businesses to reach a large audience and retarget consumers who have interacted with the business before.
Want to learn more about how you can leverage social media facts? Get in touch with ProfileTree today to kickstart your social media strategy!