Whether you have a website or blog, chances are one of your primary goals is to rank highly on search engines. Google, Yahoo, Bing, and all of the other major search engines all have primary search results for any keywords entered by the user. Users will find content like web pages, videos, and local listings on the primary search results. A search engine will rank these results based on what it believes to be the most relevant for the users. While payment is involved with paid search ads, it is never involved with primary search results.
If you’re interested in improving the ranking of your website or blog, here is some information about the principles of keywords and optimisation.
What Is Search Engine Optimisation?
One of the buzz words that many online marketers like to throw around is “SEO content.” In order to understand what “SEO content” means, it is important to understand both components of the phrase.
- SEO (search engine optimisation) refers to the process of optimising content so that users are able to come across it more easily on major search engines like Bing and Google.
- Web content refers to any information that can be accessed by users on the Internet.
Therefore, SEO content refers to any content that is made with the intention of attracting traffic from the major search engines. In order to optimise your content for search engines, here are some of the things that you will need to do:
- Keyword Research: You should research good keywords for your content before you even start writing. Well-chosen keywords will help ensure that you generate traffic from search engines. You want to choose keywords beforehand so that you can optimise your content properly. Be sure you choose keywords that receive a significant amount of traffic already. You want to write about topics that people want to read about.
- Keyword Optimisation: You need to know the most optimal places and methods to use keywords in your content to maximise the searchability.
- Content Organisation: The content on your website or blog should be organised in a logical manner. Not only is content organisation great for SEO, but it will help users navigate your website more easily.
- Content Promotion: All the new content you post should be visible. You can boost the visibility of a post by sharing it to social media websites and creating backlinks to your content.
Be sure to keep in mind that getting traffic from search engines should not be your only goal. In fact, if search engine traffic is your only goal, the traffic to your website or blog will likely suffer in the long run. You want to please not just search engines but also your visitors and potential clients. Therefore, it is vital that you post content that has value beyond SEO. Don’t post lacklustre content simply to rank highly and get many clicks. If you have low-value content, you may eventually be penalized by Google and other search engines. Low-value content will also cause your website to suffer from low conversion rates and high bounce rates.
Types of SEO Content
Any of the following types of content has the potential to be SEO content:
- Product Pages – Product pages are the SEO content of choice for retail e-commerce websites. If you have a good product page, it can serve as a PPC landing page and SEO content.
- Blog Posts – A blog is one of the best ways to publish SEO content regularly. Users tend to find blog posts more engaging. In fact, users are more likely to click on a link in a blog post than a link in a product page. Therefore, blog posts can be a great way to build authority for your website.
- Articles – A feature price, news article, and interview are all examples of SEO content. You will mainly find articles on a magazine and newspaper-style websites.
- Lists – A list is another type of article. However, framing an article as a list makes it easier for users to scan. Lists tend to be far more clickable in social media feeds and search results than other types of articles.
- Guides – A guide is one of the longer forms of SEO content. The purpose of a guide is to explain to a user how to do something in particular. Usually, guides are separated into multiples web pages. However, you should permit your users to view a guide as one page. Another option you have is posting an excerpt or summary of the guide on your website. Provide your visitors with access to the guide if they subscribe to your email newsletter or pay for the guide. Just keep in mind that requiring payment or registration will reduce the amount of SEO traffic you receive for the guide.
- Videos – There are more articles and blog posts than videos on the Internet. Therefore, it is generally easier to rank highly for a good keyword by publishing a video rather than an article. A video can be an excellent way to reach out to your audience depending on the type of website or blog you run. If your website is for your business, you may want to make video tutorials showing users how to use your products. You could also post a video tutorial of a process. For example, if you have a business in the industry of plumbing, you can show users how to unclog their sink.
Why Is Search Engine Optimisation Important?
Since the market is getting more competitive by the day, SEO is incredibly important. Search engines help millions of people every day find solutions and answers to problems and questions.
Search engine optimisation is important because:
- Most users of search engines will click on one of the top 10 suggestions in the primary search results. Therefore, you should try to take advantage of this phenomenon to increase traffic to your website or blog.
- Practising good SEO will help boost the usability and user experience of your website.
- Users value search engines. Therefore, if your website ranks highly for a keyword searched by the user, your website will seem more trustworthy.
- SEO is great for social promotion of content on your website or blog. Those who find your website or blog on Google or another reputable search engine will be more likely to share it on social media channels like Facebook and Twitter.
- SEO can help you get ahead of your competition. If there are two websites selling the same product, the website that is optimised for search engines will likely have more sales and customers.
What Is the Difference Between Organic and Paid Search Results?
A search engine like Google returns both organic and paid search engine results. Organic search results are web page listings that best meet the query of the user based on relevance. On the other hand, paid results are advertisements. The owner of the website paid to have their website displayed for various keywords. Therefore, paid results sometimes come up when users search for a keyword.
What Are the Differences Between Pay-Per-Click and Pay-Per-Impression?
A pay-per-click or cost-per-click advertisement requires advertisers to pay every time a user clicks on the ad. Visitors will be able to view the advertisement, but the advertiser won’t have to pay unless the visitor clicks. The benefit of a pay-per-click ad is that many visitors will view your ad and not click on it. Therefore, you may get customers and exposure without actually paying for it. You will pay a specified cost for every click. That way, you will know what you can expect to pay ahead of time.
On the other hand, a pay-per-impression advertisement requires the advertiser to pay for views rather than clicks. An impression refers to when an ad appears on a page that someone visits. In general, the advertiser pays a certain price for every 1,000 impressions. For example, you may pay €100 to have your ad displayed 1,000 times.
What Factors Should You Consider For an SEO Plan?
If you’re making an SEO plan for your website, there are many major elements that you need to keep in mind for your website strategy. These elements will make your website rank highly in search results. Here are six factors that you should consider:
- Keyword Research
- Navigation Elements
- Site Hierarchy/Architecture
- Page Layout
- URL Display
- Cascading Style Sheets
Undoubtedly, search engine optimisation can be one of the most effective ways to boost the ranking of your website or blog for search engines. Organic traffic from search engines is vital for all public websites. Fortunately, you can optimise your content and website for search engines by taking a few simple measures. As long as you continue to remain aware of how you can affect the search engine ranking of your website, you will be able to keep your website viable. Learning the principles of keywords and optimisation and mastering these principles will definitely put your website on the road to success on the Internet.